An little question.

haraldmartin

Mar 18, 2013
Norway
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPRO, Garrett Pro Pointer, Garrett Edge Digger+Camo Pouch. RESERVE: Garrett EuroAce +AT-GOLD
Primary Interest:
Other

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what did you find Harald? Land Mine, grenade, mortar round, small arms ammo?

pics?

70 years in the ground will ruin most explosive powders, but many variables involved.

Give us some details.:icon_thumright:

GMD52

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2013
Lake Champlain, Vt.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any rifle or pistol ammo is just fine to store as you found it, oddly enough smokeless powder is not explosive, unless detonated in a confined breech. Blackpowder and blackpowder cartridges are explosive and should be rendered inert by soaking in oil, pull the bullet, dump the powder, and treat with old motor oil, old containers of blackpowder can simply be spread on the grass or driveway and soaked with the hose. Other major munitions that may have been found should be handled by qualified professionals. As always there will be other views, but most all modern dug munitions, for small arms are inherently safe.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This I believe is the first time I've seen that particular question asked on Tnet. Congratulations on offering up a new question, welcome to Tnet and I look forward to the responses!

What you may have found or may find if you are only preparing to find munitions may upset or cause dread in the minds of some folks so I would not keep WWII munitions in or near any town. The detonating device may be the most dangerous (total guess on this) portion of the munitions. And now having stepped off of that cliff I would not suggest taking any of them apart. It would be like attempting to remove a blasting cap from a stick of dynamite that did not go off, you never know what it is going to do. Be careful with this adventure....................63bkpkr

Pictures would be interesting if they will not create more difficulties for you!

AU Seeker

Bronze Member
Oct 14, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
E-Track, MXT, CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any modern (after the use of black powder) artillery rounds are very dangerous, any vibration or shock could set them off without warning and with disastrous affects to anyone/anything within 100s of yards, DO NOT MESS WITH ANY MODERN ORDNANCE/AMMUNITION!!!!!

Most small arms ammunition shouldn't be a problem, store in a cool dry place out of the reach of children and idiots, but leave the big stuff alone!!!

OP
OP
haraldmartin

haraldmartin

Mar 18, 2013
Norway
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPRO, Garrett Pro Pointer, Garrett Edge Digger+Camo Pouch. RESERVE: Garrett EuroAce +AT-GOLD
Primary Interest:
Other
Okay, thanks for these comments:icon_thumright: For now, im gonna destroy them somehow. Dunno if im gonna remove the bullet of an old cartridge and empty the gunpowder, an example, kar98 round. or should i give them to the police so they can destroy it?

Uncle Jeff

May 28, 2013
Tampa, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro -
Garrett Pro Pinpointer AT -
TEKNETICS EUROTEK PRO -
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you just want to get rid of them .. Most gun ranges will take your old ammo and use it to just play with.. er I mean shoot at targets or dispose of it for you free of charge :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions