An old drive in theater yields

spotz

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2005
Stanfield, Oregon
Nothin but a hand full of trash on a ten minute hunt. The sun was out for the first time in weeks here today & I had to run some errands but I tossed the DFX in the truck, JUST IN CASE I got a chance for a quickie hunt. I have been anxious to get on this site for a long time. I was really excited to see a dozer & a loader on the site today. This theater was built in the 40's & was not paved until the early 60's. I went there often when I was young. It operated until 2004.

They built a new indoor state of the art theater on the edge ot the old drive in two years ago. They started taking up the asphalt on New Years Eve day. TZhe property is also POSTED now, which it was not before!!! I tracked down the property owner's wife by phone today & told her that I never hunt ANY site without permission. She thought that was most considerate & she gave me permission to hunt it any time. ( She used to run the drive in herself )

Ten minutes into the hunt, her husband happened to drive by & he had not talked to his wife so he stopped to see what the heck I was doing. He was impressed that I had taken the time to get permission, even if it was from his wife & he also said to knock myself out anytime. He talked for an hour & used up my time for the day, but I think it was time well invested. Those large new NO TRESSPASSING signs apply to everyone else, but NOT TO ME!
Spotz

Upvote 0

Huntin' 59er

Apr 27, 2005
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
W T G Spotz ! You got your foot in the door. Now go find those goodies and keep us posted ! Good Luck !

Huntin' 59er

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:o Spotz! :o

Wonder how long it will take them to have that asphalt gone! Sounds like a great place to hunt....and it's all yours!

Good luck and let us know!!!!

kermit

Aug 9, 2005
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Whites V3I, AT PRO, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a few old drive in theaters around this area that I haven't gotten to yet. I read someplace that kids like to put coins down in the poles used to hold the speakers that go on the car window. Seems like some dude found 7 merc's and 4 IH Nickels in the same hole. He said it was where the old sound pole was located. It has to be full of coins just from people getting in and out of cars so much.

Good luck keep us posted on what you find

Kermit

dudes2112

Jan 25, 2005
Cuyahoga Falls, OH
Sweet! Keep us posted on that one. There's a drive in near me that's still in operation and I've been trying to track down the owner to see if I can get in there during the off season.

Dudes

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Good approach Spotz..wish you the best of luck,keep us posted on you find's.HH

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOVE A GOOD TALK sometime as enjoyable as digging even leads to better things......

R

rvbvetter

? ? WTG!! ? ?Good luck on the site. ? Good call on the permission. ? ? ? ?HH

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Sounds like a nice place to detect :) I tried a grassy field that used to be a drive in theater, not much, a few wheaties, tokens, vintage relics, nothing exciting, and yes they are always filled with junk :-\

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
way to go spotz! that place could be loaded with mercs, silver washingtons,and wheaties!!i hope it is!! good luck! ;)

rjnail

Nov 25, 2005
Detector(s) used
Excalibur,
i hunted a few but never found much, good luck on ur hunt

Strand-Filter

Dec 10, 2005
Florida
Good work getting the permission to hunt that spot.

Once the asphalt is gone and the ground churned up you should be into a prime hunting area.

Keep us posted.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread