OP
OP
Highmountain

Highmountain

Mar 31, 2004
New Mexico
Airborne80 said:
What was this used for? It looks cool, but I am not sure what I am seeing

It's a personal animal fetish. Religious/spiritual item. This one's almost identical to one identified as a mountain lion displayed in a museum in Santa Fe a few years ago. The arrow-like scratch running lengthwise from the mouth to 'chest' is called the 'heart-line'. This one came from a pit-house ruin-site on private land, western New Mexico, probably 800-1000 years old.

Thanks for the reply.

Airborne80

Bronze Member
Mar 23, 2005
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT Classic
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome!!! That is such a cool find! Thanks for explaining it :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Highmountain

Highmountain

Mar 31, 2004
New Mexico
Airborne80 said:
Awesome!!! That is such a cool find! Thanks for explaining it :thumbsup:

Something to think about:

You can find fetishes on sites that have been gone over repeatedly by pot hunters and head hunters. Sometimes the piles of debris by their potholes will even have them. The reason is that it's not something well known and most pothunters haven't done any research to speak of. They just hope if they dig a mound or ruin or midden they'll find something they can sell, and they know pots and points will. Or, in the case of points, they might add them to their collections.

But they'll go right past a lot of other things without even noticing. Finding a thousand year old ear of corn with the kernals still on it can be a thrill and you can often find them lying beside the potholes, thrown out by the pothunters.

Same with fetishes.

Jack

Airborne80

Bronze Member
Mar 23, 2005
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT Classic
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet! I will add them to my list of "hope ta finds". Thanks for that info.

OP
OP
Highmountain

Highmountain

Mar 31, 2004
New Mexico
I don't recall ever finding one myself, but I've had people with me who found numerous tiny turquoise beads poking around in the small gravel surrounding ant beds. About the size of #7 shot. I think most ruin and campsites in the southwest must have a lot of them judging from the number I've seen people more patient than I am find.

Not sure about places further east, but I'd almost bet ant beds around mound builder sites would turn something, though maybe not beads.

Jack

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread