And people tell me to fill in my holes.....

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, let me get to the good stuff. I found some brass Knuckles (not literally!), an old(?) shotgun shell( Says: NO. 12 U.S. CLIMAX, any ideas..a link please), two fishing weights , and yes the clad was buried, i repeat was buried!

Now, let me get to the funny part. You know how city workers are picky about how we fill in the our holes? Well, i almost broke my leg in one of like twenty two foot deep holes, i later found out they were digging up these buoy thingies. Ironic?

Have a good one
-GC

Attachments

• IMG_2913.JPG
    IMG_2913.JPG
    45 KB · Views: 652
Upvote 0
OP
OP
goldencoin

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks river rat! I got the info i needed. This shell was made no later then the 1920's! i reckon it was washed from the land into the lake, then, becuase of it's paper shell, it washed onto the beach and was buried, which allowed me to find it! There were other newer shells there too; MD'ers, check the water line!

HH
-GC

AndyM

May 20, 2006
Rochester
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Speaking of holes...there is a Climax, Minnesota. No Joke, it is just west of Fertile, MN. Do you think the brss knuckles were made in MN? US Hwy 12 isn't close, but US Hwy. 2 is. Interesting finds.

mlw67

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2006
Portland, OR
Cool! I never even thought about looking up spent shells on the internet. I've never kept any I found, now I'm wishing I had. I grew up in a rural area and dug zillions of old bullet and shotgun shells 'back in the day'.

At least I'll know what to do now.

Pepsi

Mar 19, 2006
City workers....must have been a 2 man team...one to dig...one to fill...Guess we know who called in sick :)

OP
OP
goldencoin

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Time to reply to all your comments in order:

climax is the name of the shotgun casing, not the brass knuckel.

The cool thing about my MD is that it skips all the new, rusty junk and only picks up brass for some reason.

That reminds me of a joke: a man in washington sees two men. One is digging a deep hole and the other fills it back in imediatly. Tha man ask why the workers are doing what seems like nothing. They reply " the person who puts the tree in the hole isn't here today"

Thanks for all your replies

HH
-GC

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

"Your going Metal Detecting
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds Goldencoin........
RiverRat thanks for the site...I just found a " Peters " shell at an old cellar hole.. been searching it for a few weeks
and no coins yet ..just some old bottles and misc. metal...........

OP
OP
goldencoin

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I cut and pasted a little and here is what the back of the shotgun casing looks like. Cool, huh.

HH
-GC

Attachments

• usc2_hj85.jpg
    usc2_hj85.jpg
    3.1 KB · Views: 379

bomber

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2006
DUI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting