What's new

Anglo Saxon piece - any idea what it is ?

monacoauctions

Jr. Member
Joined
Feb 27, 2009
Messages
36
Reaction score
4
Golden Thread
0
Location
Monte- Carlo
Can anyone give a positive ID on this Anglo-Saxon item ? the only thing i have ever seen similar was described as a "page marker" for a book. It is made from bronze @ 5 1/2 inches long and the hole is @ 1 1/2 diameter accross the widest point. The "head" of a creature is difficult to photograph but it looks like a wolf or dog, it's a mammal's head rather than a snake or dragon. The head as you can see is attached to a turned over piece that would function as a page marker. Never handled anything like this before so i wondered if anyone has seen a similar piece ? It was found in the North of England; there are some very tiny gilt areas so i would guess that it was once completely gilded. I am taking a guess from the style of head as late saxon era, i'm pretty shure it's not viking or Norman. Any ideas ?
 

Attachments

  • a1.webp
    a1.webp
    8.8 KB · Views: 484
  • a2.webp
    a2.webp
    11.6 KB · Views: 478
  • a3.webp
    a3.webp
    12 KB · Views: 496
  • a4.webp
    a4.webp
    9.3 KB · Views: 465
  • a5.webp
    a5.webp
    12.6 KB · Views: 476
  • a6.webp
    a6.webp
    8.6 KB · Views: 470
Wow love this piece :icon_thumright: I would have guessed snake/serpant.
 
Upvote 0
:hello:

Is there something broken off the bottom :icon_scratch: do you know were in the North of England it was found :icon_scratch:...I'm from there :)

SS
 
Upvote 0
the head has ears which is why i thought wolf, the pic's arn't very clear but there are representations on the head on both sides that must be ears so that rules out a snake.
 
Upvote 0
Swizzle stick? I don't really have a clue. Monty
 
Upvote 0
Maybe send a PM to Crusader--perhaps he has seen something like this in one of his books? :dontknow:
 
Upvote 0
Silver Searcher said:
:hello:

Is there something broken off the bottom :icon_scratch: do you know were in the North of England it was found :icon_scratch:...I'm from there :)

SS
Guess your not telling :-X but if you had given a rough area, I might have been able to help :icon_scratch: or you could PM me if you like :-\ just trying to help :P

SS
 
Upvote 0
BuckleBoy said:
Maybe send a PM to Crusader--perhaps he has seen something like this in one of his books? :dontknow:

sorry can't help ???
 
Upvote 0
from what i can tell the shaft/pin has been shortened, it looks like it's been cut with something rather than snapped; it was found somewhere near the Ribble Valley but i don't have an exact spot.
 
Upvote 0
All I can think of, is it seems to have a notch which might have held a pin (similar to annular brooches). I guess being quite small it could be a kind of brooch/pin combination.
 
Upvote 0
monacoauctions said:
from what i can tell the shaft/pin has been shortened, it looks like it's been cut with something rather than snapped; it was found somewhere near the Ribble Valley but i don't have an exact spot.
Is the gap in the ring, a peice that's broken away or a notch :icon_scratch:

SS
 
Upvote 0
haybudden2 said:
early monocle ?

Hay2

Just make sure the monocle is placed to the eye with the wolf facing outwards :D

Could it be an old key?
 
Upvote 0
One of them things used to blow bubbles. ;D Sorry just kidding ! Cool find. :thumbsup:
 
Upvote 0
Knife handle ?

Missing end piece utensil like spoon or fork :dontknow:
 
Upvote 0
Our English members (SS and Cru) have the best chance of solving this.

The first thing I thought was magnifying glass or monacle but its just a very wild guess. Does it look as if it held a lens? :dontknow:

Another thought would be a clinch or clevis pin or large cotter pin. The animal head is just right for pulling out with a finger. Again Im just guessing.
 
Upvote 0
bigcypresshunter said:
Our English members (SS and Cru) have the best chance of solving this.

The first thing I thought was magnifying glass or monacle but its just a very wild guess. Does it look as if it held a lens? :dontknow:

Another thought would be a clinch or clevis pin or large cotter pin. The animal head is just right for pulling out with a finger. Again Im just guessing.
:dontknow: stuck on this one Bcy....the only thing I can through in the pot, is some kind of hair or cloak pin :dontknow:

SS
 
Upvote 0
Silver Searcher said:
bigcypresshunter said:
Our English members (SS and Cru) have the best chance of solving this.

The first thing I thought was magnifying glass or monacle but its just a very wild guess. Does it look as if it held a lens? :dontknow:

Another thought would be a clinch or clevis pin or large cotter pin. The animal head is just right for pulling out with a finger. Again Im just guessing.
:dontknow: stuck on this one Bcy....the only thing I can through in the pot, is some kind of hair or cloak pin :dontknow:

SS
Cloak pin. Good idea. (not that I know anything about it :D) http://www.flickr.com/photos/13573116@N07/3864564145/
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom