traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This perplexed me the day I found it and still does. When I first found it, I thought it might be the front piece of a Louisiana two-piece belt plate, but I do not think so now. It is very thin, only about .04" thick on the part I have. And I can find nothing like it in the Belt plate book I have. It is nonferrous and appears to be brass. It appears to be an angry pelican with its mouth open, but I could be wrong on that, but it is definitely a bird. The measurements on my caliper are in inches. Thanks for any help you can be. The little white specs on it are from wax. I did not notice till I blew up pictures and I am too lazy today to get it back out and photograph again.

Attachments

• swan1.jpg
    swan1.jpg
    557.4 KB · Views: 161
  • swan 2.jpg
    swan 2.jpg
    527.8 KB · Views: 118
  • swan3.jpg
    swan3.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 94
  • swan4.jpg
    swan4.jpg
    616.3 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:
OP
OP
T

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 1

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I spent many days walking along the Cleveland Way along the North Sea Bluffs. I love the North Sea. Wild. Great little port town called Whitby that has some wonderful fish and chips and mushy peas. I believe Captain Cook did his apprenticeship there. I am getting homesick for Yorkshire.
Whitby. For centuries Whitby Jet has been popular for jewelry and trinket making. It's a type of coal, usually black or dark brown, that is easily carved. It's where we get the term "jet black".

Upvote 2
OP
OP
T

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whitby. For centuries Whitby Jet has been popular for jewelry and trinket making. It's a type of coal, usually black or dark brown, that is easily carved. It's where we get the term "jet black".
Yes sir. There were lots of shops in Whitby with Jet jewelry and carvings. Wes pretty. But they had tourist prices on everything there.

Upvote 1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread