"Angular block". What does this term mean?

bigalk

Greenie
Aug 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Al, it would help if you could give an example of what you're reading. Is it possible to copy-n-paste the paragraph?

Upvote 0

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, that explains a lot. Your Profile doesn't mention where you're from, but the report from which you speak is in Ireland. Different parts of the world use words in different ways; in England, a bonnet (in automotive terms) is what we in America call the hood.

In this case, however, the phrase "angular block" is just that - or as we would probably phrase it here, "angular rock". If you look on Page 12 of the Presentation, you'll see a pictured example of what they are talking about. Notice the angles of the rock. It's not rounded, as if from a river. It is angular, showing little signs of wear. In other words, the rock finds are probably very close to where the rock originated. The terrain doesn't look overly steep, therefore I wouldn't think that landslides could have taken the rock very far. However, there is also the possibility of glacial change, and whether or not that area had glaciers move through long, long ago that might have taken the rock far from it's original location.

Hope this helps some.

Upvote 0

Mrdigz

Nov 14, 2015
Long Island ,NY
Detector(s) used
2 Whites MXT pros. Bullseye 2 & Bullseye trx pinpointers.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't read the link you posted so this might not help - but I always thought angular blocks had to do with bedrock formations or formations broken off of bedrock to take samples from.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

bigalk

Greenie
Aug 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys. Thank you both for really great and informative answers. I had surmised it was related to rocks that weren't rounded, but only concluded that this might mean that they were easier to break open. Both of your answers make perfect sense and I conclude are spot on! Thanks to you both!!

Upvote 0

Mrdigz

Nov 14, 2015
Long Island ,NY
Detector(s) used
2 Whites MXT pros. Bullseye 2 & Bullseye trx pinpointers.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck, hope you get some good material!!!

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
KCM nailed it. A rock with sharp corners. (or fairly sharp) In contrast to rounded rocks. :)

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread