Another 17th Century Coin from the farm

Mi$terG

Jan 25, 2013
Eastern MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Hi All.
I can't top my Pine Tree Shilling from a week ago... but this past Sunday I got out for what might be the last time I will be able to, as the ground is starting to freeze. I wasn't finding too much before I got a solid 82 on my AT Pro, but at about 6 inches of depth. I thought that maybe I would have a copper wheat cent or maybe a dime. When I got the target out of the hole, I didn't see any detail but realized that it was a large copper- and was really excited, thinking that I had my first LC! I put it in my pouch and continued for another hour or so. Along the way I found a couple of nice flat buttons with shanks still completely intact (not sure of the age of them- any guesses?), a fired .22 round and a nice musketball. One other item not pictured is a piece of what I believe is a broken plow blade, about 9 inches by 5 inches and triangular. Also got a thin disc of what I believe is tin- I think it's just a junk item. I will attach pictures- first is the array of stuff that I found. The next is the best picture I could get of the coin- which I believe (with 90% certainty as I can make out the last digit in the date- a "6") is a 1696 English Halfpenny. The reverse has no detail left so I didn't bother with a photo of that. Last picture is what I believe the coin actually is. Any opinions on what it is? Thanks for reading and Happy Thanksgiving to you all. Happy Hunting. 8650612_1.jpgHalfpenny 1696.JPGphoto all.jpg

Upvote 7
You're certainly on a nice early site! Cool finds. Do you have a picture of the front of the coin? It may help confirm it as a William III.

You have it right, if the last number is a 6 it's a 1696 William III.

Looks like the 17th is your lucky century for finding coins lately! :icon_thumright:

Good stuff buddy! You're on a roll and in comes the snow :-( I feel your pain but plenty of time to research new sites. Def looks like a 6 on your coin. Congrats

That's awesome! Still hoping to break into the 1600s, have a feeling it won't happen for a while...

That copper is in wonderful shape, congrats...

Congrats on making some awesome finds! That site must have some fantastic finds waiting for you! HH. And Happy Thanksgiving !

It isn't going to be easy waiting on the thaw when you know finds like that are waiting for you. Congrats on some great saves!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back