Another 2 Plate day, 2nd one in a week!!!! More Pictures Added

dcooper1

Oct 23, 2005
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
New Excalibur II, DFX w 12" Super and stock coil, XLT with stock coil, 14" & 6" coils
I couldn't sleep last night thinking about getting back into the camp that I found last week!!! They were calling for the bad weather to start "early morning". So, in order to get ahead of it, I was "diggin" at 0600 hrs. (yes, before daylight), I used my flashlight for the first couple of holes. Then as it started to get light, the snow started, and boy did it snow, before I knew it there was about 2" on the ground. I really didn't mind it, it made it easier to see where I had hunted as I was working a "grid" pattern in the area where I found one of the Eagle Breast Plates last week. By 0800 hours I had about 10 bullets, some knapsack parts, a button or two, and then..........................a U.S. Box Plate!!!
I kept diggin thru the snow, then it turned to sleet, and then to rain as the temperature warmed up. Once the rain stopped, the wind started!!!
I wanted to stop for lunch but had set a goal of 50 bullets before I could go eat!!!! I kept digging!!! Finally around 2pm, I hit bullet number 50, a Williams cleaner, and headed for the truck.
Just after lunch I decided to go back and grid the other direction from where I found the Eagle last week. Within a short time, I hit another signal that I KNEW was another plate, and it was!!!! Another U.S. Box Plate!!!! TWO in one day!!!!
I ended up with 5 eagle buttons, one New York button, some knapsack parts, some interesting bullets (60 total), 3 scabbord tips (2 with leather still in them), a pocket knife, a whatzit -UPDATE - Its part of a door handle/lock, a small shoe buckle, a spencer carbine cartridge, and of course the 2 box plates!!!!
I can say that I really think my arm fell off today. Swinging the Whites 12" coil from 0600 until 1830 hours today!!!! With about a 25 minute lunch break!!!!

Updated, changed title, and added LOTS more pictures.

Enjoy!!!!

feb 11 2009 finds.JPG
All Finds for February 18th 2009​

Feb 17 2009.JPG
Both of the US boxplates​

Feb 18 2009 2 plates.JPG
A Carved Bullet​

Feb 18 2009 Carved Bullet.JPG
Mystery Solved - It's part of a door handle/lock​

Feb 18 2009 Nipple Tool 2.JPG
An odd bullet, note the "pin" in the center.​

Feb 18 2009 odd bullet.JPG
One of the Star Based Bullets​

Feb 18 2009 Star Base Bullet.JPG
Lunch time!!! I had finally reached my goal of 50 bullets before I could go eat.​
Thats a NICE steak and some macaroni and tomatoes - my Grandmothers got me hooked on this!!!​

Feb 18 2009 Lunch.JPG
Some Scabbord Tips (2 still had the leather in them)​

Scabbord Tips with Leather.JPG
A dirty bag, from playing in the mud!!!​

Feb 18 2009 Dirty Bag.JPG
The 4 plates that came from the same camp!!!​

Feb 2009 4 Plates.JPG
Another shot of the plates, eagle buttons, and New York button​

Feb 18 2009 Plates and Buttons.JPG
ALL finds from day 1 at the camp.​

Attachments

• feb 11 2009 finds.JPG
    feb 11 2009 finds.JPG
    150.5 KB · Views: 1,159
Upvote 0
DC,
I don't know what to say other than this has to be one of the best CW relic posts I've seen on TN. You are the Man!!! :icon_king:
A BANNER for sure. :thumbsup:
Congrats,
MM

Banner... That is unheard of these days. You are the Man...relic hunter. Congratulations,
Un-friggen believable. Congratulations again.

Re: Snow/Sleet/Rain/Wind couldn't keep me out of the camp today!!!

dcooper1 what is the piece on the left end of the knife. The little round one with the little piece sticking out from either side. I found one like it, and don't know what it came off of. Mine has a square hole through it. Man you really hit the jackpot. I've enjoyed looking at the finds. Congradulations.
[/quote]

I'm not 100% sure but I think it must have been some type of nipple wrench, just guessing because of the square hole in it about the size of a nipple. One side of the "handle" appears to be broken off.
Hopefully someone else will be able to i.d. it for us.
[/quote]

I have found the same thing in early town & cabin sites.....I believe they are out of door locks......but I could be wrong! :icon_scratch:

Re: Snow/Sleet/Rain/Wind couldn't keep me out of the camp today!!!

Ia.FurTrade said:
dcooper1 what is the piece on the left end of the knife. The little round one with the little piece sticking out from either side. I found one like it, and don't know what it came off of. Mine has a square hole through it. Man you really hit the jackpot. I've enjoyed looking at the finds. Congradulations.

I'm not 100% sure but I think it must have been some type of nipple wrench, just guessing because of the square hole in it about the size of a nipple. One side of the "handle" appears to be broken off.
Hopefully someone else will be able to i.d. it for us.
[/quote]

I have found the same thing in early town & cabin sites.....I believe they are out of door locks......but I could be wrong! :icon_scratch:
[/quote]

I have found one of those thingys too. If you start a post in What Is It I'll add a photo of mine too.

The piece I found with the square hole in it was found at an old home site. That was my first thought that it came from a door lock. Close to where I found it I also found a brass skeleton Key. Maybe some one will know for sure.

done dug it all up said:
dcooper1 said:
I can say that I really think my arm fell off today. Swinging the Whites 12" coil from 0600 until 1830 hours today!!!!

Detected until 6:30pm and posted at 9:55pm. Many you flew home and cleaned, photographed and posted all that stuff Lightening Fast.

I was pulling out of the property at 630 and drove the 8 minutes to my house. I did forget to add that I also made dinner while cleaning the relics in the sink. I guess you get pretty good at it when you do it..........A LOT ;D ;D ;D

Holy cow, great hunt!!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

First let me say "super finds!" :thumbsup:

Ia.FurTrade is right it is part of an old door lock.
The part you are calling a nipple wrench, is a part of a old mortise lock. The spindle, for the door knob, goes through the square hole, when the knob is turned the two tips retract the latch so the door will open. It has two tips, so either way you turn the knob, will open the door.

"I was pulling out of the property at 630 and drove the 8 minutes to my house."

And I gotta drive 800 miles for a site like that....
Great going!
Now here's the secret handshake, got it?
Good.
Now bless my coil!

Findone said:
First let me say "super finds!" :thumbsup:

Ia.FurTrade is right it is part of an old door lock.
The part you are calling a nipple wrench, is a part of a old mortise lock. The spindle, for the door knob, goes through the square hole, when the knob is turned the two tips retract the latch so the door will open. It has two tips, so either way you turn the knob, will open the door.

Thanks for the info and helping i.d. this item. Of course, it adds another mystery...what was it doing in a Civil War camp. Of course I know it could have been before/after the war but it appears to be the only item that doesn't "fit".
Thanks again.

dc

Lowbatts said:
"I was pulling out of the property at 630 and drove the 8 minutes to my house."

And I gotta drive 800 miles for a site like that....
Great going!
Now here's the secret handshake, got it?
Good.
Now bless my coil!

I got it :thumbsup:
I'm still working on the long distance blessings....... ;D
Thanks.
DC

kdn502 said:
WOW!! Great finds..... The only thing better than a virgin Union camp is a virgin Confederate camp....Hope you find that one too!!

Congrats :thumbsup:

Thanks.
I'm sure there is a Confederate camp "close by", and I WILL find it!!!!! :thumbsup:

Congrats on such a good day! :occasion14: CHEERS !

Ok, enough is enough... I've been watching this post for a few days now, and I'm trying to understand why an extraordinary day, with 2 US box plates, PLUS 60 bullets, and numerous buttons, hasn't made banner???!!! How many of us have been so lucky to dig 2 plates in one day...? Anyway, congrats to my brother on a great banner day!

tcooper1 said:
Ok, enough is enough... I've been watching this post for a few days now, and I'm trying to understand why an extraordinary day, with 2 US box plates, PLUS 60 bullets, and numerous buttons, hasn't made banner???!!! How many of us have been so lucky to dig 2 plates in one day...? Anyway, congrats to my brother on a great banner day!

I agree TC.
As I said above, this is one of the best CW relic posts I've seen on TN.
*********BANNER*********

Goldlust said:
Those are the greatest finds. What coins or buttons are those? Thanks-Mark
Mark, Look's like my brother has Five eagle buttons and one New York button. Definitely a banner day don't you think...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back