Another 2 Plate day, 2nd one in a week!!!! More Pictures Added

dcooper1

Oct 23, 2005
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
New Excalibur II, DFX w 12" Super and stock coil, XLT with stock coil, 14" & 6" coils
I couldn't sleep last night thinking about getting back into the camp that I found last week!!! They were calling for the bad weather to start "early morning". So, in order to get ahead of it, I was "diggin" at 0600 hrs. (yes, before daylight), I used my flashlight for the first couple of holes. Then as it started to get light, the snow started, and boy did it snow, before I knew it there was about 2" on the ground. I really didn't mind it, it made it easier to see where I had hunted as I was working a "grid" pattern in the area where I found one of the Eagle Breast Plates last week. By 0800 hours I had about 10 bullets, some knapsack parts, a button or two, and then..........................a U.S. Box Plate!!!
I kept diggin thru the snow, then it turned to sleet, and then to rain as the temperature warmed up. Once the rain stopped, the wind started!!!
I wanted to stop for lunch but had set a goal of 50 bullets before I could go eat!!!! I kept digging!!! Finally around 2pm, I hit bullet number 50, a Williams cleaner, and headed for the truck.
Just after lunch I decided to go back and grid the other direction from where I found the Eagle last week. Within a short time, I hit another signal that I KNEW was another plate, and it was!!!! Another U.S. Box Plate!!!! TWO in one day!!!!
I ended up with 5 eagle buttons, one New York button, some knapsack parts, some interesting bullets (60 total), 3 scabbord tips (2 with leather still in them), a pocket knife, a whatzit -UPDATE - Its part of a door handle/lock, a small shoe buckle, a spencer carbine cartridge, and of course the 2 box plates!!!!
I can say that I really think my arm fell off today. Swinging the Whites 12" coil from 0600 until 1830 hours today!!!! With about a 25 minute lunch break!!!!

Updated, changed title, and added LOTS more pictures.

Enjoy!!!!

feb 11 2009 finds.JPG
All Finds for February 18th 2009​

Feb 17 2009.JPG
Both of the US boxplates​

Feb 18 2009 2 plates.JPG
A Carved Bullet​

Feb 18 2009 Carved Bullet.JPG
Mystery Solved - It's part of a door handle/lock​

Feb 18 2009 Nipple Tool 2.JPG
An odd bullet, note the "pin" in the center.​

Feb 18 2009 odd bullet.JPG
One of the Star Based Bullets​

Feb 18 2009 Star Base Bullet.JPG
Lunch time!!! I had finally reached my goal of 50 bullets before I could go eat.​
Thats a NICE steak and some macaroni and tomatoes - my Grandmothers got me hooked on this!!!​

Feb 18 2009 Lunch.JPG
Some Scabbord Tips (2 still had the leather in them)​

Scabbord Tips with Leather.JPG
A dirty bag, from playing in the mud!!!​

Feb 18 2009 Dirty Bag.JPG
The 4 plates that came from the same camp!!!​

Feb 2009 4 Plates.JPG
Another shot of the plates, eagle buttons, and New York button​

Feb 18 2009 Plates and Buttons.JPG
ALL finds from day 1 at the camp.​

Attachments

• feb 11 2009 finds.JPG
    feb 11 2009 finds.JPG
    150.5 KB · Views: 1,159
Upvote 0
All I can say is unbelievable...that is one thick steak. Oh, and some no so shabby diggs too. All joking aside, thi sis exactly what makes me get out there and detect. Great history right there ,thank you for sharing.

-dg

thats alot of plates for a hunt.I havent even found one yet.Happy hunting and i hope you get back to that spot soon.Wonderful story and pics too

Awesome Job DCooper. You really put that detector into high gear. Beautiful US Plates, Very Nice Eagle Breast Plates and I very nice Bat Wing. :wink: :wink: :wink: :thumbsup:

Thats amazing i wish i had some battle sites around my town. What are Scabbord Tips though?

Unbelievable!!!It is going to push me one closer to being off of the Banner,but I have had my time and I give credit where credit is do.........you got my vote,my hats off to you! :thumbsup:

kuger said:
Unbelievable!!!It is going to push me one closer to being off of the Banner,but I have had my time and I give credit where credit is do.........you got my vote,my hats off to you! :thumbsup:
I agree with you Kuger, I can't beleave it hasn't made it up there yet!!!

oahu90 said:
Thats amazing i wish i had some battle sites around my town. What are Scabbord Tips though?

Oahu,
A Scabbord tip is a piece of metal, usually brass, that goes on the end of a leather sheath/holder for edged (sword/bayonet/bowie knife) weapons. It is suposed to keep the tip of the weapon from protruding thru the end of the leather sheath/holder. These are missing the "tip" which was also usually a solid piece of brass that covered the very end: stronger reiforcement for the tip of the weapon.

Great show of Patience and determination.

Bravo :thumbsup:

You found more in two outings than most of us will find in a lifetime! M :o nty

An amazing honey hole indeed! I'm so jealous I just wet my pants. Which is a major problem since I'm at work :walk:

Wow... you must be flying :thumbsup:

Re: What IZ It

Andie Rigney said:
I found an identiical what iz it the the other day. Mine also came from a camp. I think they are gun tools called cones or cone protectors.There's a square piece that comes out of side of lockplate on gun.The brass piece is what turns it.Who told you it was off door knob? Here's mine. Andie

Andie,
Here's the link where I posted it in the "what is it" forum. http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,219377.0.html
I'm pretty sure they are correct. I just don't know what it would have been doing in this camp that I have only found CW stuff.
Let me know if you come up with anything that shows it may be something different. I DID find some gun parts in the camp so I guess there is a chance.
Thanks
DC

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back