Another anyone know question?

True_Metal

Aug 27, 2004
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have any of you ever seen those paper weights that are the block of clear plastic. Some have scorpions and other knick knacks imbedded in them preserving whatever is in them. I cant remember what that plastic is called but it comes (or used to) in kits that is mixed and then poured and hardens into that block. Does any one know of any scientific warehouse places or catalogs that may have that stuff. I want to preserve specimans of Mayflies and Stoneflies in each of their life stages for fly tying reference and maybe to sink a special coin find into one or two as nice conversation piece. Thanks in advance.

Upvote 0
W

wooden nickel

Sounds like a polyester resin. The type catalyzed with methyl-ethyl-keytone peroxide. If I remember correctly. Hardware store should have something like that in a fiberglass repair kit. Just leave out the fiberglass.

OP
OP
True_Metal

True_Metal

Aug 27, 2004
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Damn Wooden nickel that was fast! Went to get a soda and came back and already have an answer :D I will check it out and see if the hardware place can help me. Thanks alot.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can use clear epoxy,it's the same thing wooden nickel is talking about.it's a two part mix(resin+hardener).If you get air bubbles in it ,they can be removed with a propane torch,just slightly heat the area/s with air bubbles, because more than likely you will have air bubbles.I used to make cypress clocks,tables,wall plaques etc.,that's what we always used to coat it with after the polyurethane.GOOD LUCK :)

southern gent

Aug 1, 2004
Pickens Co. S.C.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Sovriegn. Whites. Garret
Primary Interest:
Other
The vast array of knowledge and experience displayed on this site boggles the mind. The poly resin type that wooden nickle was reffering to can sometimes be found at boat repair shops as well. But at those places it is very pricy. By the way wooden nickle, you are one of only a few that I know that even knows what MEK/P is. Way to go. Good luck True Metal, and let me know how it works out, I too have some finds to preserve. HH! Chris

OP
OP
True_Metal

True_Metal

Aug 27, 2004
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, Southern Gent i noticed that too and is exactly why i asked. No where else do i know of a forum to ask this question and expect answers. 8) I will give it a try and see how it goes. The mixture must not be so caustic that it damages the insects. It might be ok for a coin, but we will see.

mvSWAT

Sep 21, 2004
Mt. Vernon, Indiana
So how'd it go on making your resin specimens? Years ago I made a few of those. The coins were easy enough, I tried to do a few spiders but I couldn't get one without an air bubble in it....they looked great at first but as the resin dried I kept getting a little air bubble but by then the mixture was too hard for me to try to work it out, I didn't know to try to use heat on it at the time. I think the pressure from the drying resin squeezed out what air/gas the spiders had inside them.

scotty

Oct 12, 2003
central missouri
Another good place to look might be a Hobby Lobby shop, or store where hobbyist products are sold. I used one of those kits one time to embed articles in to preserve them and make a paper weight out of myself, but can't remember the name of the kit. Might just find something on the internet if you can come up with the right profile. HH Scotty

lab rat

May 21, 2003
Sunny Southern CA Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
You might also look for 'acrylic resin'. Hobby stores, hardware stores, Ebay...

Incidentally, MEK is very nasty stuff, and can wreak havoc on your chromosomes if you so much as breathe it. Be careful-- especially if you ever plan to be a parent. Don't know if the peroxide is as bad, but check on the MSDS (material safety data sheet) if you plan on using this stuff. Most MSDS info can be found on the internet.

OP
OP
True_Metal

True_Metal

Aug 27, 2004
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the recent tips guys 8) I will locate the stuff over the winter.

MVSwat. I haven't tried it yet, as the insect hatches i'm interested in have concluded for the year. I will locate the stuff and come spring when the bugs are back i will start to dabble with it. Will post the results.

mxtman2

Sep 25, 2004
Southern California
Detector(s) used
MXT/ Sunray probe
The one thing I found that is essential when encapsulating insects, or any other organic specimen, is to remove all moisture. That is why you will get a bubble. It is the moisture trying to escape. In some cases it will crack the plastic to escape. Just let your specimen dry on the windowsill for a day or so. If the body shrinks or starts to collaps, you can gently inflate the body with a syringe.
Hope this helps.

mxtman2

Sep 25, 2004
Southern California
Detector(s) used
MXT/ Sunray probe
If you google "plasticast" the first link will be "Sams toy box". Go there and at scroll to the bottom and there will be a link to an article for preserving insects. It is everything you need to know.

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
lab rat said:
You might also look for 'acrylic resin'.? Hobby stores, hardware stores, Ebay...

Incidentally, MEK is very nasty stuff, and can wreak havoc on your chromosomes if you so much as breathe it.? Be careful-- especially if you ever plan to be a parent.? Don't know if the peroxide is as bad, but check on the MSDS (material safety data sheet) if you plan on using this stuff.? Most MSDS info can be found on the internet.

MEK peroxide is a very different chemical than MEK and is much more hazardose. MEK is just a solvent,similar to acetone,but MEK peroxide is a catalyst used to cure fiberglas resin and it is corrosive. it can cause skin burns and will cause serious and permenant eye damage if a drop gets into your eyes. always wear goggles while using it.......we use both chemicals where i work. the regular MEK isnt that bad as long as you use it with good ventilation and dont get a lot on your skin. it gets absorbed through your skin and can cause liver damage. i guess i should also mention that when you catylize the resin,follow the instructions to a "T" because the curing process creates heat. too much MEK peroxide will make the resin smolder and burn and will release some really nasty fumes.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread