What's new

Another bone with a cut mark

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Joined
Mar 21, 2009
Messages
2,356
Reaction score
405
Golden Thread
0
Now this one, is the densest, heaviest, and hardest one yet. I guess that still doesn't make it a fossil. I have it narrowed to a cannon bone? It's 9 3/4 inches long. IF it is a cannon bone, there wouldn't be much meat on it, so why a cut mark?(if that's what it is.) I know they utilized all parts, so maybe any part of the animal would have butcher marks. The broken end looks like it's been pounded? am I making all this up? ??? ::)
 

Attachments

  • cannon1.webp
    cannon1.webp
    25 KB · Views: 575
  • cannon2.webp
    cannon2.webp
    31.8 KB · Views: 577
  • cannon3.webp
    cannon3.webp
    49.3 KB · Views: 549
  • cannon4.webp
    cannon4.webp
    26.6 KB · Views: 582
  • cannon5.webp
    cannon5.webp
    22.7 KB · Views: 566
  • cannon6.webp
    cannon6.webp
    23.7 KB · Views: 556
Very cool! That looks like a horse metatarsal bone ( cannon bone ). It could have caught it's leg in a fence or something and became infected making the distal end look that way? 8) 8) 8) :)
 
Horse! I was leaning that way, but without the distal end complete, was wondering. I knew disease could deform a bone, but had never seen it . It looks like it would have been painful. Thanks worthy
 
Sometimes it's difficult to distinguish between cut-marks from a chert blade and gnaw-marks from animal teeth.

Using scanning electron micrographs, Shipman (LIFE HISTORY OF A FOSSIL, 1981) demonstrated that butcher-marks have micro-striations within the groove. Gnaw-marks are smooth and rounded within the groove.

Here are a couple of images of a tapir radius from the Santa Fe with butcher-marks. Can you see the fine auxillary cuts in the primary cut?

tapirradiuscutsA.webptapirradiuscutsB.webp​
 
Yes, I can see the striations Harry, thankyou. would a good magnifying glass work for a lot of cases? I want to look at these better, and I have a fairly good glass at work, just haven't had time yet.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom