Another coil question - Larger better for hunted sites?

Sylth

Apr 11, 2008
Northern VA
Detector(s) used
White's M6 w/ Sunray Probe & a Bounty Hunter Lone Star
I need some advice. There are several sites that I have been detecting. The first is a church in the middle of the woods which seems to have been hit years before (dates back couple hundred years, but i haven't found anything). The second is the site of a burned down in, on an old mail route. Its rather trashy but has the oldest and busiest history. The third is a local school that goes back to the 20's; talking to people who were around 20 or 30 years ago, it was hit pretty heavily when detecting first came about. With the last one, i still pull out the odd silver coin, but the first two... I've found one coin in the several months detecting both sites (a heavily corroded flying eagle cent at the inn). And that wasn't even with my M6; it was with my dad's compass Judge II. Refuse to believe both sites are completely hunted out though.

Now, I've been thinking about it, and thought maybe, if the sites were detected a long time back, the deeper stuff might have been passed over; this led me to think a larger coil might help out. Then I started thinking that it might not help, and why throw away several hundred on a coil I might find little use for. & of course, second guessing youself on an issue you don't know much about just makes everything confusing ??? . So, would a larger coil help in the above situations, and if so, which one should i go for?

My setup is an M6, with the 6x10 DD coil & a sunray probe, and while relics would be awesome, coins are my main target

Thanks, and happy hunting! :D

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well generally in clean ground a larger coil gives more depth, however in trash the opposite is true.

Now that old in is very trashy you say? If so why not opt a small coil and low sensitivity and go among the trash?
If you think it's been hunted before think the opposite of what most hunters would do. :thumbsup:

Most do avoid heavy trash and not go into it rather opting for a cleaner and easier site.

Another thing you might consider it to lower your discrimination level as some trash targets that are discriminated out can "hide" (referred to as masking) a good target.

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
you also have to remember, most MD's see what is closest first, so trash will hide deep stuff

OP
OP
Sylth

Sylth

Apr 11, 2008
Northern VA
Detector(s) used
White's M6 w/ Sunray Probe & a Bounty Hunter Lone Star
So... while a larger coil might help with the school, it wouldn't with the church or the inn; it would still hit the same trash. And a smaller coil would be best for those two trashy sites to separate out the good signals from the bad better.

Seems a smaller coil would be the one I should get next. Thanks for the replies ^^

-Sylth

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
A larger coil would hit on more trash.
Your welcome. :icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread