Another Day Out With MDeus

ggossage

May 18, 2009
Eastern Nebraska
Another Day Out With M'Deus

5-24-2014 7-51-56 PM.jpg

Got out for a few hours today and found all this. I hunted two spots, one of which I'd hunted before and found two of the IHPs I'd missed--the Deus came through again adjacent to collocated trash.

The ring is small and rang up copper, so it's either plated or gold filled. No markings other than an "A" on the inside. It was nice to pull the 1873 IHP...you never know what you're going to get at this place. I used a "yard" program which consisted of:
Disc 10
Notch 00-35
GB 80 GB Notch 85-90
React 3 Silencer 1
IV 0
AR 5

Most of you all know this, but it's good to repeat it once in a while just in case some folks don't know this...if you change React settings, always check your silencer since it auto-adjusts with Reactivity.

Could you explain the 85-90 notch?
I hardly ever use 4k (except to ID caps) so I'm not sure what your notching out here
Nice finds!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think that he's talking about a GB notch, which is different than the standard (target) notch. Nobody outside of XP seems to understand just how exactly this works, but nearly everyone (including XP) agrees that this reduces impact falses on the coil and won't actually drop any targets. I guess that it simply notches out the ground itself between the assigned values, which makes the coil stop chirping when it bumps something because...well, reasons or something.

I can't honestly say that I've noticed a difference, but it seems to help some people in certain conditions. I suppose that it's just one of those things to try.

Good question; it confused me too until I watched this:
It's a good video--start at 1:30 for a little background on why/when you should use Ground Notch. In my area I'm loving how the Deus can bump against a root or two here and there and I get no audio feedback. I don't always need to use Ground notch in my area but occasionally I do.

I believe the ground notch setting has it's origin from users who needed something to do about hotrocks. Here's another link: XP Deus Pumping, Tracking & Beach Modes

I think we need a better "bottlecap notch" than silencer :thumbsup: I am having a difficult time with identifying bottlecaps.

Last edited:
Same here. I dig a lot of bottle caps, because I still don't trust my ears to the Deus sounds yet.

Guy's I use the "wiggle back" method to ID the bottle caps! It works great on the Deus,but I found out about using it with my AT Pro. A bottle cap will sound like a quarter,but when you wiggle the coil backwards until the coin/cap passes out from under the front of the coil,you will hear two different sounds. A coin will just break off cleanly,it just drops off,a bottle cap on the other hand, will have a static,or fuzzy,choppy,intermittent, sound as it breaks off. Works like a charm,give it a try! I dig very few bottle caps anymore,unless I forget to do this trick,and sometimes I do!:BangHead:

The wiggle scares me due to admitted paranoia. Allow me to explain my thought process:

1. I get a good tone with a good trace. Is it a coin or a ring? I wiggle off.

2. Tone breaks up and gets buzzy.

3. Was it a bottle cap or is it something good that's being affected by nearby iron?

4. I sweep again. I remain unsure.

5. I say, "Screw it, I'm wasting time here. It's shallow and there's only one way to be sure," and I dig it up. It's a bottle cap.

I really should start trusting the machine one of these days. :)

Satan (aka bottle caps) are telling you it is a ring or coin......

It's a bottle cap!

LOL

Jim

I check every 4 /5 times and it's bottle cap but I still must check

I'm getting more comfortable with the bottlecaps now. As some others have said, bottlecaps can be good...they haven't been dug up yet, so there may be some goodies hiding right next to them. That said, I've found changing frequencies (switching to the adjacent program) to be the best solution for me. If I hear a cap in 4K, then the TDI will drop in the other frequencies. If the TDI does not drop, then it's dig time. The reverse is also true. If I'm using 12K and sweep a cap, then the TDI will go higher in 8K and 4K.

Tried your 4K program! It works great! I'm using 2 tones with it!:occasion14:

I've just got to use it a little in the backyard so far,and it found deep coins I had missed! I mostly run in 8 kHz as I like the TID scaling in 8 kHz,and the way it hit's coins.

What 2 tones? Set point you using?

Never tried 2 tones.....

Jim

What 2 tones? Set point you using?

Never tried 2 tones.....

Jim
You can set the tones to whatever you like! I set mine up where a nickel has a low tone,then the rest penny,dime,quarter,ect. have a high tone. It really makes it simple to coin shoot with 2 tones. If you hear a low tone,you can look and see if it's in the nickel range,and a high tone is just a "digit" tone!:laughing7:

Got to spend a little time with the 4 K program this morning. I went to a area that has been hit many times,to see what was "left over" from the previous hunts. I did dig a little trash,and a few odd seals? Overall I like the program,for cleaning up a area that has already been hit! I found all 5 clad quarters within a foot area at about 6-7 inches deep. They really ring in hard!:laughing7:001 (2).JPG002 (3).JPG

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back