What's new

Another good nickle box

Narthoniel

Bronze Member
Joined
Jul 1, 2008
Messages
1,755
Reaction score
6
Golden Thread
0
Location
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Excal 2 and E Trac
Hello,

Yesterday I picked up 2 nickle boxes, and searched one last night. There was one silver, and a mistrike! It is about 10% offcenter, and out of round slightly. Don't think it is worth much, but I still thought it a cool find. Today I opened the other box to see 50 2008p nickles blazing in the light. Makes for my first new issue box, and I was most unhappy. Guess I will send them back to the bank unopened.

My wife made a run by a new branch today, and she happened to find large dollar coins! She brought home 2 rolls, and there were 37 bicentenials in it. No silver :(. Oh well, still cool to find the big uns. She also brought home a groovey box of nickles!

About 10-15 rolls in I had 3 good keepers! All 3 filled slots in my book, which is stunning to me since I have searched 2-3 dozen boxes now. The first was a 1944D, leaving only 3 other silver nickles to find to have one of each. A few rolls later, I saw "FIVE CENTS" on the rim peeking out, and grinned at the newest buffalo to my collection. 7 of 8 that I have found now have dates, and this one is 1936. A few rolls later, I pryed open the end of a roll with my knife as usual, peeled back the paper, and stared in shock as I saw the date. 1950!!! I anxiously flipped it over, but there was no mint mark. Reguardless, any 1950 to me is a groovey find! Also found a 47d which filled a hole in the folder.

I am attacting pics of the mistrike. Any opinions about it or its value are welcome.

Anthony
 

Attachments

  • 03p mistrike.webp
    03p mistrike.webp
    83.3 KB · Views: 300
Upvote 0
It is more of about a 5% off center strike. The out of round comes from it being off center. Not a huge premium, but a nice find!
 
Nice work on the nickels, off center and the ones that filled the holes in your book!

Keep at it!

~Dave
 
Great eye!!! :icon_pirat:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom