What's new

Another Jesuit Ring Doubleheader

WawaDuane

Sr. Member
Joined
Oct 12, 2013
Messages
393
Reaction score
1,624
Golden Thread
0
Location
Northern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro International
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I went out today only to be trapped in a huge thunderstorm (that the weather gal didn't mention) and I was huddled under trees waiting for something to happen. Luckily the skies cleared up and I ventured to a new place and waded around a small beach and came up with some awesome finds. Last month I found two Jesuit rings (that won Vaughn Garrett's International Find of the Month) and I came up with another two rings....crazy but true. So the day ended with some awesome finds...any info on the axe or the lead/pewter jewelry thing would be appreciated.

Sunbaking tinkle cone.

IMG_8406.webp

Native copper bracelet.


IMG_8411.webp

Cool old trade axe.


IMG_8414.webp

Maker's mark on trade axe.

IMG_8415.webp

Jesuit rings (#3 & #4 this year)


IMG_8417.webp

Small beach where rings, bracelet and lead weights were found.


IMG_8424.webp

Some kind of lead, pewter jewelry no idea on age.


IMG_8426.webp

Tinkle cones.


IMG_8429.webp

Old china pattern.


IMG_8433.webp

The only coins of the day and a musket ball and bullets.


IMG_8438.webp

Old lead weight for net...I have several different names and this is my second A. Booth.


IMG_8439.webp

The "other stuff"


IMG_8442.webp

Axe makers mark up close


IMG_8455.webp

Old 30-30 shells.


IMG_8446.webp
 
Upvote 46
Awesome finds and congrats! It looks like you stumbled upon a Jesuit, French and Native North American Indian site or there was at the least, a lot of trading and interaction between these groups. I would imagine that with these finds, you will again win Vaughn Garrett's International Find of the Month!

It is a good thing I looked up what a tinkle cone is as I thought you placed over it a certain body part to tinkle through!:icon_scratch::laughing7:


Frank
 
Last edited:
Makes you wonder what those Jesuits were doing when they lost their rings! :laughing7::dontknow:

Yeah, it also makes one wonder what the Indian Squaws were doing when they lost all of those Tinkle Cones and were they doing it together!:laughing7::icon_scratch::dontknow:


Frank
 
tinkle cones were trade goods as where the rings and roseary items ...the Jesuits preist wanted the indains to convert and use the roseary and wear their "Jesuit" rings as a sign of faith..the Jesuit preist were well known "indain traders / exploiters"
 
Yeah, it also makes one wonder what the Indian Squaws were doing when they lost all of those Tinkle Cones and were they doing it together!:laughing7::icon_scratch::dontknow:


Frank

:laughing7: .... now that was funny! Glad I wasn't swigging my beer this time when I read that!!

I'd take Joan Taylor as an Indian squaw any day of the week! Jesuits are just not my type :tongue3: :laughing7:
 

Attachments

  • Joan Taylor.webp
    Joan Taylor.webp
    68.4 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:
Beautiful pieces!
 
Thats quite the hunting spot congrats on the biscayne axe. Soak it in vinager and the rust should fall off. Im sure they were forged. Amazing stuff . Thanks for sharing
 
Thanks for all the info, input and compliments......I will head back to that spot in 2 weeks when I'm back home from work. Not sure if Vaughn Garrett will let me enter more rings or not, maybe?
 
Thanks for all the info, input and compliments......I will head back to that spot in 2 weeks when I'm back home from work. Not sure if Vaughn Garrett will let me enter more rings or not, maybe?

Maybe not but the Jesuit Rings along with the Trade Axe, the Native Copper Bracelet, Tinkle Cones and the unknown Lead or Pewter Pendant looking item may qualify and especially if the latter can be identified to any of the groups noted to have used or been at the site.


Frank
 
I'm thinking one of those tinkle cones might come in handy.
 
the triangle shaped pendent item is a catholic roseary center piece with a cross in side it --fat part is top ..thin part is bottom
 
the triangle shaped pendent item is a catholic roseary center piece with a cross in side it --fat part is top ..thin part is bottom

I think you are correct....thanks, I would have never figured that one out. I figured it was an ear ring.
 
They did have lead that was traded. The bar may be the makers mark for lead bars...just a guess
 
I think it just happened to be in the water and not related to the Jesuit stuff, I have several net weights with other names, some blank and some with the same name and they were all found near a certain great lake.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom