What's new

Another Jesuit Ring Doubleheader

WawaDuane

Sr. Member
Joined
Oct 12, 2013
Messages
393
Reaction score
1,624
Golden Thread
0
Location
Northern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro International
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I went out today only to be trapped in a huge thunderstorm (that the weather gal didn't mention) and I was huddled under trees waiting for something to happen. Luckily the skies cleared up and I ventured to a new place and waded around a small beach and came up with some awesome finds. Last month I found two Jesuit rings (that won Vaughn Garrett's International Find of the Month) and I came up with another two rings....crazy but true. So the day ended with some awesome finds...any info on the axe or the lead/pewter jewelry thing would be appreciated.

Sunbaking tinkle cone.

IMG_8406.webp

Native copper bracelet.


IMG_8411.webp

Cool old trade axe.


IMG_8414.webp

Maker's mark on trade axe.

IMG_8415.webp

Jesuit rings (#3 & #4 this year)


IMG_8417.webp

Small beach where rings, bracelet and lead weights were found.


IMG_8424.webp

Some kind of lead, pewter jewelry no idea on age.


IMG_8426.webp

Tinkle cones.


IMG_8429.webp

Old china pattern.


IMG_8433.webp

The only coins of the day and a musket ball and bullets.


IMG_8438.webp

Old lead weight for net...I have several different names and this is my second A. Booth.


IMG_8439.webp

The "other stuff"


IMG_8442.webp

Axe makers mark up close


IMG_8455.webp

Old 30-30 shells.


IMG_8446.webp
 
Upvote 46
WAAWA MAN THATS A NICE BUNCH OF ITEMS YOU HAVE THERE . I THOUGHT THAT THE BRACELET MAYBE SLAVE RELATED OR RELIGIOUS . BOY THE RINGS ARE COOL AS WELL AS EVERYTHING YOU FOUND. IS THAT A HUDSON BAY TRADE AXE ????
 
Dang Duane you hit the jackpot!I'd be freakin...
Hang on I'll find the hawk site again..
Arggh. He shows a drawing of it but no i.d..
If you search his site you'll find the quote, which fits your sites history kinda close. The pics near it are of a cross within a circle.
I'm not saying that matches yours precisly but check it out when you can. It's in the section of Biscayne trade axes. (8th category down on menu.)

"The French Biscayne trade axes are the oldest style of metal axe we know of .... circle mark on a biscayne axe is from the French and associated with the Jesuits "
TRADE AXES - FUR TRADE AXES & TOMAHAWKS

Despite the possibility of a French made hawk/axe, the bracelet resembles a Hudson Bay copper one. But then, it looks more refined/shaped.
Course the French may have had their own ..or both parties could source stuff from who knows who?

Jesuit-trade-rings.webp
 
Last edited:
I actually like the net weight, although I know those rings are great as well.
 
great_find.gif
Nice finds! Thanks for sharing...
 
Very nice! Doubling up on the rings is awesome, and the trade axe is a nice addition with the marks. The bracelet is a good recovery, not seen one posted up for sometime. The pewter piece with the cross might be an earring? Best of luck on your next hunt and I hope there's a piece of silver waiting for you.
 
Dang Duane you hit the jackpot!I'd be freakin...
Hang on I'll find the hawk site again..
Arggh. He shows a drawing of it but no i.d..
If you search his site you'll find the quote, which fits your sites history kinda close. The pics near it are of a cross within a circle.
I'm not saying that matches yours precisly but check it out when you can. It's in the section of Biscayne trade axes. (8th category down on menu.)

"The French Biscayne trade axes are the oldest style of metal axe we know of .... circle mark on a biscayne axe is from the French and associated with the Jesuits "
TRADE AXES - FUR TRADE AXES & TOMAHAWKS

Despite the possibility of a French made hawk/axe, the bracelet resembles a Hudson Bay copper one. But then, it looks more refined/shaped.
Course the French may have had their own ..or both parties could source stuff from who knows who?

View attachment 1191444

This is great info...thanks again.
 
Fantastic finds! The two rings are very special, congratulations.
 
Hello WawaDuane. Those are very nice digs. I really like the rings, trade ax, and net weight. BTW what's a tinkle cone? HH C9
 
I'm very surprised this post isn't getting a lot more attention as you've made some awesome recoveries. Love those early rings and those tinkle cones are something I never see down this way. By the way, do you know anything about those makers mark on the axe? I found a similar mark on a Flemish brick that I dug from a trash pit at a 1600s site, but could never track down its significance.

flemish brick1.webp

flemish brick2.webp
 
Nice collection of cool artefacts Duane , congrats ..cheers mick
 
Those Jesuit rings are fantastic - they look perfect in that picture. :icon_thumright:
 
Makes you wonder what those Jesuits were doing when they lost their rings! :laughing7::dontknow:
 
I went out today only to be trapped in a huge thunderstorm (that the weather gal didn't mention) and I was huddled under trees waiting for something to happen. Luckily the skies cleared up and I ventured to a new place and waded around a small beach and came up with some awesome finds. Last month I found two Jesuit rings (that won Vaughn Garrett's International Find of the Month) and I came up with another two rings....crazy but true. So the day ended with some awesome finds...any info on the axe or the lead/pewter jewelry thing would be appreciated.

Sunbaking tinkle cone.

View attachment 1191413

Native copper bracelet.


View attachment 1191414

Cool old trade axe.


View attachment 1191415

Maker's mark on trade axe.

View attachment 1191416

Jesuit rings (#3 & #4 this year)


View attachment 1191417

Small beach where rings, bracelet and lead weights were found.


View attachment 1191418

Some kind of lead, pewter jewelry no idea on age.


View attachment 1191419

Tinkle cones.


View attachment 1191420

Old china pattern.


View attachment 1191421

The only coins of the day and a musket ball and bullets.


View attachment 1191422

Old lead weight for net...I have several different names and this is my second A. Booth.


View attachment 1191423

The "other stuff"


View attachment 1191424

Axe makers mark up close


View attachment 1191425

Old 30-30 shells.


View attachment 1191426

Hey I know that Place , be there tomorrow.

For real Tho, Awesome Finds (All Of them!) 2 rings 'Just Sugar on top'.
Davers

To lazy to Google , So Tinkle Cones???
 
Last edited:
Are you sure those copper cones aren't Native American arrow points? (Nevermind...I just read the link above)

That is an amazing assortment of finds...wow.
 
the triangle item is actually a old roseary "center piece" .....a triangle shaped center piece with a cross within it.......the wide point at the top was where the big loop of beads was tied at each "point" at the top ,,, and the point is bottom part ...was the bottom. drop . where the small end was at..if held correctly in the hand and you know anything about a roseary ..it would be plain to see "it" as such ..it would be cool to rebuild the roseary and not that hard to do either..


I am a catholic so I have a eye for old religious item like this ...man I would love to find a Jesuit ring or triangle roseary centerpiece like this for the old religious item collection --I have started for my local catholic church I attend ..
 
Last edited:
BTW, despite a great array of very interesting finds, your photos are really well executed! :thumbsup:
 
I have a old Jesuit mission cross and Spanish / Indain trade beads from a 1702 era Indain village area that was wiped out by British raiders but need a "center piece" like the one your showing ..like that triangle to make a "historically correct" piece .. by any chance would you be interesting in trading anything for it? say some 1702 spanish / indain era trade beds ?
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom