What's new

another mystery piece.. some help?

GatorBoy

Gold Member
Joined
May 28, 2012
Messages
14,812
Reaction score
6,156
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seems we have a few odd finds today... might as well add mine.
Hmmmm?

ForumRunner_20130212_233521.webp



ForumRunner_20130212_233627.webp



ForumRunner_20130212_233712.webp
 
Upvote 0
A socket for something else maybe?
 
The hole was added to this piece..that's what's confusing me.
 
That sure is a mystery. Definitely interesting
 
Is that a bone with a hole in it?
 
Mystery? Speculation and conjecture! What is it? Looks like a piece of bone with a hole in it that occured when the predator or scavenger bit into it.
 
It was found at the same site as these.

ForumRunner_20130213_004820.webp



ForumRunner_20130213_004934.webp
 
Does that awl fit tightly in the bone with the hole? If it does, maybe you have an ancient tattoo kit.
 
gator is that a Indian site
or a very old shipwreck site?
that look like some very heavy duty handles for some kind of tools.
like ship building or something.the size of it
will that pin in bottom pic. fix into the hole in the bone,in the top pic.?
 
The bottom pic. Is a socketed bone point made from deer toe bone. The handle is deer femur. Here is a point from the site. Its now under construction and done for.

ForumRunner_20130213_021746.webp



ForumRunner_20130213_021958.webp
 
Has anyone ever heard the old adage 3 strikes your out?
 
Looks like a 22 caliber hole! Got to kill those cows somehow!
 
I believe it is a bone handle for a wood object that was inserted then pinned to hold it in place, looks like the opposite hole broke off. The hole in the end might coincide with the shape of the inserted piece, being square in shape it would keep the piece from twisting along with the pinned top.
 
I could explain the entire context....
But please just humor me. The context was correct. I like the Idea of the wooden insert.. Mabey something like a pottery paddle.

Not looking for any strikes.
 
Who knows

ForumRunner_20130213_183539.webp
 
Yes sir.
 
Gatorboy, I have not found or handled enough bone to give you an opinion on your mystery. I have , however, this link in my archives thay you might find interesting. Research14
 
Thank you.. Jim Tatum is a great Guy. I love the site he and his son Carlos have there for their business. While mine my not be antler I believe those handles are at very least a very good representation of the process being used in Florida for making a bone/antler handle. I'd say that is as close to an ID as I will likely get on this piece.
 
Bones with holes sure can be puzzling.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom