Another ring, a mercs, more CW bullets, nice variety from the scout camp and walking is still paying off

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went to one of the schools and extended my grid in the field for a while and then by the school. The weather was nice for a change and hopefully it will stay that way.

I spent 5.5 hours swingin the CZ21 and found 124 coins with a face value of $6.15, an older cheapy paring knife, an old spoon handle, part of a harmonica reed, stainless watch back, Mercury dime, aluminum kiddie ring, a copper rivet used on leather goods, an Air Force button, 3 wheaties, lots of tabs and a little trash.

C4F53766-8939-468D-998B-04C18EDBCAB7.jpeg

The merc is a 1941 and the wheaties are 1911, 1941 and 1957. The 1941 and 57 wheaties were in a coin spill with the merc. The Air Force button has a screw back and depicts the Air Force crest. It does not have any back mark and from its condition and what I find on line it may be pewter or silver. This style was used in the late 1940s after the war. I’m having trouble finding exact dates from a reliable source.

3243A9FE-1934-4A47-8199-AC3467A8929E.jpeg

My wife and I went for our nightly walk and I found a dollar bill and a dime. I frequently find coins while walking but bills are not a normal find. Lately bills have been finding me though, a $20 at the mall, a $10 at the scout camp, a $5 at the school and now a $1 on the street. Right place right time with my eyes open.

I went back to the civil war bullet school to see what I could find. I have found gold and silver jewelry here as well as civil war artifacts and was hopeful my luck would continue. It was cool (45) and windy, but at least it was not freezing.

I spent 5.5 hours swingin the CZ21 finishing a grid in the front of the school and starting a new grid on a different part of the grounds. I found 113 coins with a face value of $4.98, 5 modern keys, half a rivet, 2 hat pins, 2 more civil war bullets, a chunk of camp lead, some tabs and a little junk.

E2C94725-4E06-4D80-B3AD-71C7BA3DE382.jpeg

The rivet is larger than normal and looks like it might be a broken knapsack rivet from the civil war, but no way to tell for sure. The civil war bullets are a .58 caliber minie mangled by the construction equipment and a Williams Type III with the plug missing (it came from a damp spot and the white oxidation did not build up on it, I have seen this happen in other damp locations).

84D6574C-080A-4525-B3D9-D8211DB62A0E.jpeg

A lot of the pennies lately have been zincs and have shown signs of their time in the acid soil. Zinc pennies have been around for 40 years and many are just junk when you dig them up. I do believe that the zinc pennies were a very bad idea on the government’s part.

I finished a permission I have worked several times and covered all the ground. I have found an Indian, a silver ring, a walking half and a nice pile of wheaties. I was hoping for a few more goodies, but it was not to be.

I spent 4.5 hours finishing the back part of the yard. It started about normal, but soon turned real quiet, almost dead. Very few signals, not even ferrous low tones. In all I found 11 coins with a face value of $0.61, a brass ring, some brass utility chain, an aluminum fork and spoon bowl from a child’s tea set, a play sheriff badge, a Harley hat pin hit by a mower, a 1956 wheatie, an old cheapie earring and some junk. Not a great day, but interesting at least.

052C1E12-F6DB-4E43-A289-48BFFAAD4609.jpeg

We went for a walk at the mall and I found 2 Walmart gift cards with PIN number exposed. I thought for sure they had been used, but checked on line anyway when I got home. One had $1.68 on it and the other had $25! Another case of right place right time with my eyes open. Walking has really paid off lately.

Did my weekly trip to the scout camp and finished up a campfire amphitheater and worked around a program building. Not a great day money wise, but the variety of finds was real good so lots of fun waiting to see what would pop out of the ground next.

In 6 hours I found 112 coins with a face value of $6.84, 23 camp tent pegs, a hammer head, 3 rope tensioners, 2 sinkers, part of a fishing lure, a clevis pin, a hat pin back, a lock back knife blade, 6 cheapie beads, a knife with the camp logo on it (backwards so I don’t give away the location), an Eagle Scout knife, a fake cob, a pinewood derby medal with out the ribbon, a Garfield hat pin, an Alpha Tau Omega medal, a Webelos slide, a tacoed quarter, 4 camp reward tokens, a NAMCO game token, a few tabs and a little junk.

9065A2A4-991D-45BA-A236-BB4255FADEE0.jpeg

FD4E29A9-1294-4B6A-A7BC-CD98319CE5EE.jpeg

EA2A1E85-99CB-45A8-8BEB-A0B714780F52.jpeg

Not pictured is a 3 pound hammer with the handle in tact I gave to a ranger who was working near by and a fire hydrant wrench I left with some pegs I had dug at one location. The rangers must have taken it before I could take a picture of it because some of them were working near that building and it was gone when I went back to take a picture of the days pegs and such. I found one that matches it pretty closely on line and it is pictured below.

584DDE1F-DCD3-4AD3-9926-EDECAEFA61AA.jpeg

So lots of digging this week with some silver, some oldies and a wide variety of finds. Not a banner week, but a fun one with lots of good outdoor exercise to keep the old guy going. No hunting this weekend, I’ll be camping with the scouts with no detecting opportunities. Thanks for looking, stay safe, good luck and may your coil lead you to good things.

Attachments

• 9364CD2C-0521-453D-82C1-3470D28840FC.jpeg
    9364CD2C-0521-453D-82C1-3470D28840FC.jpeg
    324.1 KB · Views: 27
Upvote 13

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Outstanding and Congratulations on your nice recoveries
It will be a week in time that you will always remember

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice post- strong work with all those recoveries!

Hunk-a-lead

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2020
Kansas City
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Predator Phoenix Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I went to one of the schools and extended my grid in the field for a while and then by the school. The weather was nice for a change and hopefully it will stay that way.

I spent 5.5 hours swingin the CZ21 and found 124 coins with a face value of $6.15, an older cheapy paring knife, an old spoon handle, part of a harmonica reed, stainless watch back, Mercury dime, aluminum kiddie ring, a copper rivet used on leather goods, an Air Force button, 3 wheaties, lots of tabs and a little trash.

View attachment 2019738

The merc is a 1941 and the wheaties are 1911, 1941 and 1957. The 1941 and 57 wheaties were in a coin spill with the merc. The Air Force button has a screw back and depicts the Air Force crest. It does not have any back mark and from its condition and what I find on line it may be pewter or silver. This style was used in the late 1940s after the war. I’m having trouble finding exact dates from a reliable source.

View attachment 2019737

My wife and I went for our nightly walk and I found a dollar bill and a dime. I frequently find coins while walking but bills are not a normal find. Lately bills have been finding me though, a $20 at the mall, a $10 at the scout camp, a $5 at the school and now a $1 on the street. Right place right time with my eyes open.

I went back to the civil war bullet school to see what I could find. I have found gold and silver jewelry here as well as civil war artifacts and was hopeful my luck would continue. It was cool (45) and windy, but at least it was not freezing.

I spent 5.5 hours swingin the CZ21 finishing a grid in the front of the school and starting a new grid on a different part of the grounds. I found 113 coins with a face value of $4.98, 5 modern keys, half a rivet, 2 hat pins, 2 more civil war bullets, a chunk of camp lead, some tabs and a little junk.

View attachment 2019740

The rivet is larger than normal and looks like it might be a broken knapsack rivet from the civil war, but no way to tell for sure. The civil war bullets are a .58 caliber minie mangled by the construction equipment and a Williams Type III with the plug missing (it came from a damp spot and the white oxidation did not build up on it, I have seen this happen in other damp locations).

View attachment 2019741

A lot of the pennies lately have been zincs and have shown signs of their time in the acid soil. Zinc pennies have been around for 40 years and many are just junk when you dig them up. I do believe that the zinc pennies were a very bad idea on the government’s part.

I finished a permission I have worked several times and covered all the ground. I have found an Indian, a silver ring, a walking half and a nice pile of wheaties. I was hoping for a few more goodies, but it was not to be.

I spent 4.5 hours finishing the back part of the yard. It started about normal, but soon turned real quiet, almost dead. Very few signals, not even ferrous low tones. In all I found 11 coins with a face value of $0.61, a brass ring, some brass utility chain, an aluminum fork and spoon bowl from a child’s tea set, a play sheriff badge, a Harley hat pin hit by a mower, a 1956 wheatie, an old cheapie earring and some junk. Not a great day, but interesting at least.

View attachment 2019742

We went for a walk at the mall and I found 2 Walmart gift cards with PIN number exposed. I thought for sure they had been used, but checked on line anyway when I got home. One had $1.68 on it and the other had $25! Another case of right place right time with my eyes open. Walking has really paid off lately.

Did my weekly trip to the scout camp and finished up a campfire amphitheater and worked around a program building. Not a great day money wise, but the variety of finds was real good so lots of fun waiting to see what would pop out of the ground next.

In 6 hours I found 112 coins with a face value of $6.84, 23 camp tent pegs, a hammer head, 3 rope tensioners, 2 sinkers, part of a fishing lure, a clevis pin, a hat pin back, a lock back knife blade, 6 cheapie beads, a knife with the camp logo on it (backwards so I don’t give away the location), an Eagle Scout knife, a fake cob, a pinewood derby medal with out the ribbon, a Garfield hat pin, an Alpha Tau Omega medal, a Webelos slide, a tacoed quarter, 4 camp reward tokens, a NAMCO game token, a few tabs and a little junk.

View attachment 2019744

View attachment 2019745

View attachment 2019746

Not pictured is a 3 pound hammer with the handle in tact I gave to a ranger who was working near by and a fire hydrant wrench I left with some pegs I had dug at one location. The rangers must have taken it before I could take a picture of it because some of them were working near that building and it was gone when I went back to take a picture of the days pegs and such. I found one that matches it pretty closely on line and it is pictured below.

View attachment 2019743

So lots of digging this week with some silver, some oldies and a wide variety of finds. Not a banner week, but a fun one with lots of good outdoor exercise to keep the old guy going. No hunting this weekend, I’ll be camping with the scouts with no detecting opportunities. Thanks for looking, stay safe, good luck and may your coil lead you to good things.
lots and lots of cool finds, such a great variety, looks like a blast

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

View attachment 2019738

View attachment 2019737

View attachment 2019740

View attachment 2019741

View attachment 2019742

View attachment 2019744

View attachment 2019745

View attachment 2019746

View attachment 2019743

Very Nice!!! Congrats!!!

OP
OP
tnt-hunter

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks to all. It was fun and I have been lucky to find so many different kinds of things each week. I’ve been camping with the scouts, but I should be out swingin again Tuesday. Stay safe and keep swingin.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread