What's new

Another Vacation Hunt, "V" is for Nickel

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
🥇 Charter Member
Joined
Jun 16, 2014
Messages
12,099
Reaction score
18,282
Golden Thread
1
Location
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Day two of the vacation I went back and finished the permission from yesterday. The 1st target was the 1910 V nickel (only my 2nd one). :thumbsup: I was hoping this was a good sign for the day. The V was the only notable coin dug besides a 58D wheatie. It took 4 hours for me to re-grid the front and side yards in another direction and to do a single grid on the back lot. I was hoping the names on the good luck token meant something to Dennis (the property owner), but they didn't. The aluminum tag may be from a car part.

I then reconnoitered a couple other hunt sites where farm houses once stood and the sites are now in wooded areas. Since I was going by the local state park, I took the liberty to hunt a couple spots there. All in all it was another good vacation day, beautiful weather, a chance to slow time down, and enjoy the great out doors. :hello2: There are a few houses in town that I will be cold knocking tomorrow. Fingers crossed that I get the okay for another new permission hunt.

By the way, the V nickel only rang in on the right to left pass of the swing and was silent on the return sweep. :dontknow: Glad I decided to dig that iffy. :4leafclover: It's the oldest coin from the permission.

Today's Notable Finds

20160920_234450.webp20160920_234541.webp

All Finds (less trash)

20160920_164702.webp

As always, I hope ya'll got out and swung the coil :metaldetector: today.

GL & HH
 
Upvote 32
Outstanding results! Congrats!


The treasures we hold are the History that lies beneath us.
 
Nicely done Loco
You offering a prize for the person who figures out the Letters on the Good Luck Piece??
Lol
 
Great finds Loco, I see you're making the best of your staycation....good luck Weds! Ddf
 
Good job LD. V Nickel is cool


HH RN
 
Nice finds loco! Congrats!
V nickle has good detail.
I like the toy gun and car, somebodys treasures from long ago.
Glad you finally get time to detect, best of luck on your stat- vaca.
 
Good work bud!
 
You've got a pocket full of money, a badge and a gun. I expect you will be having a great time tonight!
 
Congrats on your finds, and enjoy your vacation--hoping you'll get permission on your next door knock. -Lisa & John.
 
Congratualtions on the V-Nickel and other nice keepers! :occasion14:
 
Good job LD. V Nickel is cool
HH RN

Thanks RN only my 2nd one:icon_thumright:

Congrats on some nice stuff

Thanks Art

Nice finds loco! Congrats!
V nickle has good detail.
I like the toy gun and car, somebodys treasures from long ago.
Glad you finally get time to detect, best of luck on your stat- vaca.

Thanks MsBpBp, toys are cool and this is my 2nd year taking a week off in Sept. to dirt fish.

Good work bud!

Thanks Brad, I stayed busy and did not get skunked.

You've got a pocket full of money, a badge and a gun. I expect you will be having a great time tonight!

Thanks GIB, I should have watch a western flick last night. :icon_thumright:

Congrats on your finds, and enjoy your vacation--hoping you'll get permission on your next door knock. -Lisa & John.

Thanks Lisa & John. I am enjoying the week, awesome weather here in Northern Ohio. I also got a permission today, early 1900s again.

Cool stuff Loco. Not sure if you've seen this, but check it out. It might lead you to an ID on that piece. Brown-Lipe Chapin in World War Two

Thanks for the link JC. The tag has a dedication date of May 16, 1956, so I believe it is from an employee from that the technical center or maybe an attendee sovenier of the event. In 1956 the GM Technical Center in Warren, Michigan, is dedicated on May 16.

Congratualtions on the V-Nickel and other nice keepers! :occasion14:

Thanks P.O.E., was hopping to see a Banner under your name for that fantastic find of a lifetime. Banner worthy for sure, the holy grail to many of us in the hobby. :notworthy:
 
Outstanding results! Congrats!

The treasures we hold are the History that lies beneath us.

Thanks D Gal, It is so much easier hunting a place for the 1st or 2nd time, rather than the 5th or 6th, since the good finds diminish over time.

Nicely done Loco
You offering a prize for the person who figures out the Letters on the Good Luck Piece??
Lol


LOL ATW, sure am, Before I cleaned it I thought it said Fernando Mary. It took Mary some time to learn how to use that arcade machine.

Great finds Loco, I see you're making the best of your staycation....good luck Weds! Ddf

Thanks DDF, what's an empty nester to do? :dontknow: I love to dirt fish for a week, soon after the peak season at work. Practicing my daily retiree routine, not happening anytime soon, but practice makes perfect. :icon_thumright:
 
Great V-nick. Of all the types these are the ones I find the least.

Good to see you out. Hopefully late fall you can make it back East. I counted 14 cellar holes I found this summer, all completely overgrown.
 
I think those standard metal typers were hard to use. A lot of the ones I have seen and a few I have found have mistakes on them. Nice finds
 
Thanks Steve, It does one good to pull a keeper early in the day. Maybe we should all borrow some gas powered weed whackers and get to business.
 
I think those standard metal typers were hard to use. A lot of the ones I have seen and a few I have found have mistakes on them. Nice finds

Thanks Scuba, I'm gonna have to read the other ones when I file this one.
 
A surprisingly well kept V nickel! Nice!
 
A surprisingly well kept V nickel! Nice!

Thanks Whadi, yes it is, the only shield and the 1st V are not in as good of shape as the one just found.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom