Answer another newbie question please.

OwenT

Feb 11, 2015
Moses Lake WA & Provo UT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Not a complete newbie anymore but still can use help. Got out to the river this week an spent like 4 hours sampling around, it was looking pretty good. I decided on a spot, set up the bazooka and started feeding it. My sample came from about 8" below the surface of a dry channel of the river. When I cleaned out 2 hours later I got much less gold than anticipated. I think the gold was near the surface (in an iron sands layer?) and I dug past it, 2 or 3 feet down. Should I be trying to find where that gold up top is or will there be good gold further down and I should keep digging?

Upvote 0

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It depends. Really. Sampling is the only way to know. It certainly CAN be true that the best gold is closer to the surface.

ratled

Feb 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It depends. Really. Sampling is the only way to know. It certainly CAN be true that the best gold is closer to the surface.

^^^This^^^^

You can always, and should, do a quick pan as you go down. Color change? Do a pan, not seeing the gold anymore/as much? Do a pan. Not sure if you are still in it? Do a pan......... I'll even do this when working in the water. It's easy to grab a pans worth and come up

ratled

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
When I run a Bazooka in an area I don't know well, I dig for 10 min, dump in a pan to check for gold then dig another 10. Since the cleanout is so quick, you can run bigger samples and get a better view of where the gold is hiding. It's a quick way to learn a lot!

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
When I run a Bazooka in an area I don't know well, I dig for 10 min, dump in a pan to check for gold then dig another 10. Since the cleanout is so quick, you can run bigger samples and get a better view of where the gold is hiding. It's a quick way to learn a lot!

I'm gonna try that this Monday Kevin. Difference is I'll have to bring the material a pan full at a time to the sluice but I'll still use the same time frame. Lots of new ground and not much time. Thanks!

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just keep digging! It might only be a few feet further down!!!:laughing7: When you can't reach the bottom? That's too far! Or just one more foot!

I'm joking! That's my problem anytime I've went. I think.....Well? maybe it's just a little further. Or maybe over this way a foot. I KNOW it has to be here somewhere? It has to! I can just feel it! :laughing7:

Last edited:
OP
OP
OwenT

OwenT

Feb 11, 2015
Moses Lake WA & Provo UT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'll sample that top layer and keep digging. Bedrock should be close, It's visible just a few feet away. When I was doing my initial sampling, I did a pan, then came back later and ran a bucket of dirt then cleaned out, both looked good. I don't think the bazooka was the weak link because my sample was as expected but I was running it kinda fast and steep, which I've since learned isn't the best for the sniper :tongue3:. Definitely enough flow.

Last edited:

ratled

Feb 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll sample that top layer and keep digging. Bedrock should be close, It's visible just a few feet away. When I was doing my initial sampling, I did a pan, then came back later and ran a bucket of dirt then cleaned out, both looked good. I don't think the bazooka was the weak link because my sample was as expected but I was running it kinda fast and steep, which I've since learned isn't the best for the sniper :tongue3:. Definitely enough flow.
If its that close and visible, start at the BR and follow it down

ratled

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Its not only down its right and left when working an area. Yes you should sample the layers and carefully check to see if the layer changes color or size of gravel. You can also move sideways and sometimes find more or larger gold that has been lain down in a streak. Like Kevin said it is all about the sampling. Know the material you are putting into you Bazooka before you set it up and you won't be second guessing your results. You are on the right track and you will soon have enough experience. Good Luck in all your pursuits and much gold to you.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread