Any cob experts that can tell if these are fakes?

Larsmed

Jan 10, 2007
Greencovesprings, Florida
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sandshark, bh jr.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hey guys

I recently found this website that has various cobs posted for sale claiming
they are from the plate fleets.

If you are good with cobs can you take a look and let me know if this could be the reale thing?

http://www.tortugatrading.com/data/results.asp?Category=1715+Plate+Fleet&Filter=Shipwreck+Treasure

appreciate all your help this is racking my brain.

Larry the land luber

Larry... I personally know the owner of Tortuga Trading Company and have also done some business with him. As far as my experiences are concerned with TTC, the coins have all been authentic in my dealings. I will say that many of them do not include any certificates of authenticity so I can't vouch for whether or not the coins listed as 1715 Fleet are actually from those wrecks, but the owner has worked as a diver on some shipwreck salvage ops in the past (in Florida) before he moved to the West and has a decent working knowledge of treasure coins. As for the prices, well that is up to you what you are willing to pay for a particular coin. The owner of this company also works for the film industry and has supplied some very big film productions with both copy/replica and authentic historical pieces. He did some work on the Pirates of the Caribbean films supplying period pieces for them, so I would say he has a good reputation. All that aside, he is a pretty nice guy. If you have any questions about anything he has on his website, just call and talk to him... he has been very good with answering my questions in the past.

All the best & Happy New Year to all!!!

There are many that are very doubtful to me as being from the 1715 fleet, either because of their physical condition or from recovery statistics for a particular year coin or specific design's date range (see Alan Craig's book on silver coins from the Florida collection). There are some nice coins here for sure and I will enjoy studying them in more detail. Thanks for posting the link. If there is a particular one you want me to research for you, feel free to PM me.

Stan

These are probably real.... :notworthy:

http://www.tortugatrading.com/data/inspect.asp?Item=553&Filter=Shipwreck+Treasure&Name=An+Extremely+RARE+Antique+Shipwreck+Artifact%3B+Clump+of+Spanish+New+World+Silver+PIECES-OF-EIGHT%2C++4+and+8+Reales+Cobs+from+the+1715+Plate+Fleet+w%2F3+Visible+DATES+!!!!!

Sorry for the long link....

Stan

guys thanks :notworthy:

I want to buy one but Its really hard to find something authentic these days. Especially since these prices seem rather inflated compared to what I have seen on other sites.I also found a link on this guys site for a dealer that supposdely has the george washington inaugural buttons... :dontknow:

http://www.earlyamerican.com/Auctions/ClientPages/home.php

Attachments

• Spanish book on gold bars.jpg
    Spanish book on gold bars.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 530
  • spanish bar silver fantasy.jpg
    spanish bar silver fantasy.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 516
  • Spanish book on gold bars.jpg
    Spanish book on gold bars.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 523
Guys

anyone else think this guy on tortuga trading knows what he is talking about? Atleast with the coins? They seem rather overpriced. or maybe they are real?

larry

The coins are real and there are some rather nice examples. I would certainly consider a few of them for my collection if the pricing was more in line with what I think they are worth. But then again, I am a cheapskate. I think my only contention is that some of the 1715 plate fleet advertised coins are not from those wrecks. Although the certs for 1715 fleet coins issued by Real Eight, The Cobb Coin Company, and Treasure Salvors do not usually have pics, they are nice to have (for resale value) and do help somewhat to authenticate a coin. I don't recall seeing much mention of certs on this dealer's web site.

With regards to the treasure bar, I'm OK with the fact that it may not be authentic as long as the listing mentions that possibility. I almost bid on one once long ago that was very similar.

Stan

Just as an example of how I think paperwork can influence value, here is a 1715 fleet coin I bought last night....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160391020006

Cert says "Found in 1965 by Lou Ullian on the beach at the 1715 Cabin wreck site using an army surplus mine detector". Lou was an original member of Real Eight, the group headed up by Kip Wagner who was credited with finding the 1715 fleet wrecks. The cert is on Real Eight heading w/picture signed and stamped.

Oh yeah, the coin is cool too. Assayer E, three dates (1669). There is only one dated 1669E 8 reale coin in the Florida collection. Price may seem a bit high to some, but I think it was a deal. Seller is highly regarded expert as well. He found the 1715 fleet coin hoard a few years back that is discussed in another recent thread.

Stan

MORE AND BEYOND OSSY said:
Nice pick up Stan :thumbsup: would like to see better pictures when you get it.
Cheers Sam

Hey Sam. Will do. I'll add it and the recent 1698 double strike to the "Favorite Personal Cobs" thread when I get it. Good to hear from you....

Stan

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back