ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:
I wouldn't buy that for several reasons.

thats what I thought, but I know some on here keep records of fakes, so was trying to keep everyone informed of the latest. :icon_thumright:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CRUSADER said:
Iron Patch said:
I wouldn't buy that for several reasons.

thats what I thought, but I know some on here keep records of fakes, so was trying to keep everyone informed of the latest. :icon_thumright:

I've actually bought a few fake coins but it's in many, so was never a big deal. The one your post made me think of was a silver ECU. Found the auction, set my bid, and a short time later seen I was the winner for $25. :icon_scratch: Either I just got the cheapest ECU I had even seen on Ebay, or something was wrong... and low and behold upon reading the fine print I had just bought a replica. :-\ I told buddy I was not paying and that was it, that was all. Another time I bought an 8 reale and I knew it wasn't silver, but the mistake I made was thinking it was early and turned out to be dug but more modern. I think I might have also backed out of a cob sale too, but can't quite remember the circumstances.

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DiveWrecks said:
I don't recall this particular one, bu certainly looks like one for Big C's collection. Thanks for bringing attention to it....

Stan

Thats my intention, I will have to PM him.

cuzcosquirrel

Aug 20, 2008
It looks like a cruder recast of a known fantasy cob. There is a fringe group of renaissance reenactors who specialize in pirate costumes and history and it looks like one of the ones I have seen for sale that they use.

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:icon_thumright:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bigcypresshunter said:
I believe this is the replica in question. What happens is that it is copied over and over and eventually slight changes appear. If you look closely you will see the remains of identical features.

Its definitely a replica copy. http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,108887.0.html

No harm if your interested in collecting the pics and trying to sort out reproductions, but I have to question why, with many of the fakes being so bad. If you want a challenge get into the modern age of replica watches! I seen a Rolex thread on another detecting site and it's very obvious the average person has no idea how far these things have come in the last few years. A lot more work to a watch but you don't have to fake the age!

Part of me says if someone can't afford, or are not willing to pay the price and opt for a fake that's ok, but there's the other part of me that sees the big picture and feel it's better to have nothing at all than a fake something. It really is getting out of control.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well more power to anyone trying to police places like ebay for fakes but it's definitely not something I would spend my time on.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DiveWrecks said:
Studying Rolex watches is not something I would spend time with either. I'm just happy with the knowledge that my Citizen dive watch is authentic.... ;D

I search Ebay daily for new cob posts mainly to broaden my knowledge, but also to get a feel for true market values. I do a little detective work now and then and occasionally report misleading or fraudulent listings. There are a couple of regulars from this forum that do and feel good about maybe helping someone from falling prey for a con artist.

Some time ago when Big C said he was willing to maintain an image collection of fakes (copies, reproductions, replicas, fantasy pieces, tourist trinkets, etc.) I though it was a worthwhile venture. There has been some brief discussion about one day posting them to a web database and until then several here are helping him build a collection.

I don't know what getting "out of control" is? There will always be fakes, but until they get better we'll get 'em. The topic of reproduction coins will certainly remain a subject here as long as forum guidelines are complied with.

To Big C: Keep Up the Good Work!!! :icon_thumleft:

Stan

I don't blame you and I wouldn't spend time on fake watches, coins, buttons, or anything else for that matter. I'm much more concerned with buying the real thing at a good deal and seeing some benefit to my time. To each his own!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bigcypresshunter said:
Iron Patch said:
I don't blame you and I wouldn't spend time on fake watches, coins, buttons, or anything else for that matter. I'm much more concerned with buying the real thing at a good deal and seeing some benefit to my time. To each his own!
Of course. Arent we all? People are selling fakes on eBay trying to pass them off as real. I wouldnt want to fall victim to one of these scammers. Like Sedwick says "you don't know you are bidding on or even buying a fake till you actually receive it." If you dont buy cobs, then you dont need to be concerned.

If they present it as a copy or replica, its cool. But they are selling these as the real deal and they may not even be aware of that themselves. Since the advent of eBay, fake cobs have proliferated online and I assume thats what you refer to as "really getting out of control". :dontknow: :icon_scratch:

I buy cobs among many other things and have very few problems, and almost never because of fake items. If you are suspect of something, request high quality images through email and decide from there. If you can't tell, or are worried over a single coin, you're definitely in the wrong game.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bigcypresshunter said:
Iron Patch said:
bigcypresshunter said:
Iron Patch said:
Of course. Arent we all? People are selling fakes on eBay trying to pass them off as real. I wouldnt want to fall victim to one of these scammers. Like Sedwick says "you don't know you are bidding on or even buying a fake till you actually receive it." If you dont buy cobs, then you dont need to be concerned.

If they present it as a copy or replica, its cool. But they are selling these as the real deal and they may not even be aware of that themselves. Since the advent of eBay, fake cobs have proliferated online and I assume thats what you refer to as "really getting out of control". :dontknow: :icon_scratch:

I buy cobs among many other things and have very few problems, and almost never because of fake items. If you are suspect of something, request high quality images through email and decide from there. If you can't tell, or are worried over a single coin, you're definitely in the wrong game.
Everyone is not the expert that you are, Iron Patch, :wink: and there are some very good fake cobs coming out on the market.

Crusader asked me my thoughts and I responded. It just happens to be one of the more common replicas. There are much better fakes being produced. I didnt expect to have to defend myself. Im not sure of your motives with this, IP. ???

My motive is just like the subject line. THOUGHTS... general thoughts and general questions. If you can't handle it and want to start throwing shots, trust me, I'm very game.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DiveWrecks said:
Iron Patch said:
I'm much more concerned with buying the real thing at a good deal and seeing some benefit to my time. To each his own!

Exactly. If collecting something different makes a person happy then I too say to each his own. Why disrespect it?

I'm not concerned with a perception of "seeing some benefit to my time". That to me sounds like a self serving and miserable existence.

Bottom line, I would much rather talk about reproduction coins than to ponder and dispute why we gather images of them.

Stan

I see no disrepect, you must have better eyes than I to read into something that isn't there.

Some people would call it how they make ends meet.

This is a forum and you're free to stop talking about anything you want.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hangingfor8 said:
I found a Rolex last January and let me tell you.... It's not easy figuring out if they are real or not. I finally gave up and took it to my jeweler and he did an acid test on the gold and ran the serial numbers to confirm it was real. I would much rather mess with cobs for the fact that none are identical and that in itself makes it easier. We all know there are other ways that help in figuring out whats real, but I won't go into all that.

I'm not sure if I seen your post, but you're simply looking in the wrong place for the answer. You have to go to where the experts are, the Rolex watch forums (or a Rolex dealer) and they will be able to tell you if what you have is real or not. The problem is the fakes are getting good enough for many watches that if the local jeweler doesn't deal in them he probably won't be able to tell for sure. It makes me think of walking in to the coin dealers here with Colonial stuff :) ... just not there area of expertise. I only mentioned the whole watch thing because it came to mind having comparisons over the past few months.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bigcypresshunter said:
It would be a good idea if someone here came up with database or website to help ID Rolex fakes but I am not the one for the job. I have little knowlege or interest in Rolex.

I see no harm in collecting images of fakes, replicas, and fantasy cobs and I believe the information will help other members along with myself. I wont seperate the great looking fakes from the poor quality souvenirs. I collect images of them all. I also have some real ones found on the beach. Its an interesting hobby. TN is a hobby. MDing is a hobby. TN is a give and take learning experience. I think its ludicrous that I have to sit here and defend my hobby to another member with similar interests. Im truly appalled.

I said I would try to be a better member and stop bickering. I should have just ignored you Ironspike but you dragged me into this ridiculous debate.

What makes you think there isn't material out there for fake watches? Of course there is, and you are definitely taking what I said way too literally.

What are you defending against? LOL

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Iron Patch said:
My motive is just like the subject line. THOUGHTS... general thoughts and general questions. If you can't handle it and want to start throwing shots, trust me, I'm very game.
Im not interested in throwing shots and I am not game for it, so I decided to pull my posts and pics. Ill leave the readers with these thoughts from Sedwicks database of fake cobs. This particular cob posted by Crusader is not in this database but it is a well known copy. I have many image examples in my database of this cob in slightly different variations, made of different metals, but all from the same mold.

FAKE COBS: ALERTS AND DATABASE

Since the advent of eBay , fake cobs have proliferated online. Since many counterfeits look perfectly good in photos, you don't know you are bidding on or even buying a fake till you actually receive it. Often the weight will tip you off, but sometimes not. For years now I have been "policing" eBay and helping clients avoid these fakes, and I will continue to advise anyone who asks. Below are some that are not readily detectable as fakes from the photos, but are known to be fakes simply by virtue of the fact that several different specimens exist with the exact same details and shape (never a reality on authentic cobs). Click here to check our FAKE COB DATABASE
http://www.sedwickcoins.com/fake_cobs.htm

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
WHITES MXT ,GARRET ACE150,GARRET SEA HUNT MARK II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
fake coins not exist :dontknow: (the fake coins are made of plastic :laughing7: ) ... I think referring to copy of ancient coins. ::)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions