🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Any idea on the age of this military dog tag?

JohnDilday

Tenderfoot
Jun 3, 2021
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this military dog tag with the Lord’s Prayer on it metal detecting at a site where we have found Civil War bullets and buttons, as well as 1800s coins. I have seen a picture or two of similar dog tags on the Internet listed as being from WWII, but a local Military museum thought it could be older than that. Any thoughts on how old it could be? Regardless, I still love it!
1532000F-12A2-46AD-AE01-C5CB741A5AA4.jpeg

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why do you think that is a dog tag? Which is an identification tag. It may have been carried into battle for comfort, but it is not a military identification tag in my opinion. Maybe someone will correct me, but I just think it is a necklace piece to give someone comfort in the Lord.

It is a nice find. Congratulations.

Upvote 8

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I,ve got to agree with trav,unless there,s something on the other side to ID a soldier probably not an issue ID tag.Those have been around a long time up to the present day and can be bought from many aftermarket military suppliers.

Upvote 2

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I,ve got to agree with trav,unless there,s something on the other side to ID a soldier probably not an issue ID tag.Those have been around a long time up to the present day and can be bought from many aftermarket military suppliers.
Maybe I am wrong, but I assumed since he did not show the other side there was nothing there. Still a nice piece but not a dog tag. Which is and identification tag.

Upvote 3

Tony in SC

Gold Member
Jun 8, 2006
Upstate South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites, Minelab, Tesoro, and custom machines
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great find! Being a personal item makes it more so!! What is it made of? I agree it is old. I have seen one from the Civil war era that was a little different. We even had them in Vietnam.

Upvote 1

Fourman110

Jun 22, 2013
Cedar Rapids IA area
Detector(s) used
Manticore
AT Pro
E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not a dog tag but I could readily imagine a soldier carrying this on a chain with their dog tags. HERE'S one on fleabay.......

Upvote 2

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would say not older than WWII mostly because of the shape.

ID tags for soldiers were made mandatory by the US military about 1913.

WWI and early WWII US ID tags were round disks. Some time during WWII they switched to the rectangular shape still used today.

Upvote 4
OP
OP
J

JohnDilday

Tenderfoot
Jun 3, 2021
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why do you think that is a dog tag? Which is an identification tag. It may have been carried into battle for comfort, but it is not a military identification tag in my opinion. Maybe someone will correct me, but I just think it is a necklace piece to give someone comfort in the Lord.

It is a nice find. Congratulations.

It is a nice find. Congratulations

Thanks for the replies. The medallion seems to be brass, and there is nothing at all on the back side.

I have seen links like the ones posted here with what are identified as WWII dog tags. This very well could be from that era. With the other things found in that area, I’m wondering if anyone has seen examples from earlier. I found bullets, buttons, and even an eagle plate in this area, but this may be my favorite find.

Upvote 3

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the replies. The medallion seems to be brass, and there is nothing at all on the back side.

I have seen links like the ones posted here with what are identified as WWII dog tags. This very well could be from that era. With the other things found in that area, I’m wondering if anyone has seen examples from earlier. I found bullets, buttons, and even an eagle plate in this area, but this may be my favorite find.
Ok, but I am sorry that is not a Dog tag. Read up on dog tags/ identification tags. Their purpose was to identify the person wearing them primarily if they were killed. If someone listed that as a dog tag they were not listing correctly
But it is yours. Call it whatever you want.

Upvote 1

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A ID tag,commonly referred to as a dog tag is a issued item to identify a military member in the case that he is killed or incapacitated in some way.This is not a dog tag or ID tag or issued item and should not be referred to as a dog tag.It may well have been worn WITH a soldiers dog tags,it may well be WWII related,but it,s not a dog tag.It,s still a interesting and nice find,I,d like to find one,but not technically a dog or ID tag. Not down rating your find.

Upvote 1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread