Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a "clip" to hold several cartridges by the rim so they can be loaded into a bolt action rifle magazine. Monty

Upvote 0

littleneckhalfshell

Jun 21, 2005
if the two side edges are not flat down to the bottom but show a recess behind them, then I think Monty has it, they were called 'stripper clips' I believe, at least the ones used for the M-1 carbine.
the stack of shells had their extractor rims slid into the slot, which held them together. You would stand the stack of shells over the magazine and with one push, slide them all down into the gun and the 'clip' would slide off and remain behind, tossed aside. Anyway, if there is a slot, which looks open on the right side of the object in the picture and closed on the left, then I think Monty gets the call on this one.

Upvote 0

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
If it was a stripper clip it would not have a lip like this on this end. That lip would be on the other end and some stripper clips have a bow or curve to them. And it would have a flat spring set in the bottom so that the stripper clip will keep the rounds set tightly inside.

HH

Attachments

• Stripper Clip Not.jpg
    Stripper Clip Not.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 401
Upvote 0

ToddB64

Jan 7, 2007
Georgetown, Ohio, USA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Gamma 6000,
Tesoro Bandido II µMax and
Compadre, White's Classic II,
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
jbot......Could you post more pics, showing other views of the whatsit ? This would give us a better chance to I.D. it for you.

Thanks,
ToddB64

Upvote 0
OP
OP
K

Kentucky Kache

Side and end views.

Attachments

• scan3.jpg
    scan3.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 335
  • scan0001.jpg
    scan0001.jpg
    4 KB · Views: 331
Upvote 0

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The end view doesn't look like it has a "lip" to hold the rounds in place, so I don't think it would work as a stripper clip? You can tell so much more about an item with views from a different angle. Monty

Upvote 0

wirelessworldinc

Dec 30, 2005
Indiana
I am going to take a wild guess cause I have only shot a few weapons. And to me it looks like it clips something down. I never tore a weapon apart to look how it works. I have shot a double barrel shoot gun with a deere slug and it does not look like it was something that was a part of that weapon I shot. Maybe more like a rifle. I have shot a rifle that shot like a machine gun with lights that went out that lit up the sky. If it belongs with a weapon I would say it would be an automatic rifle. Mary ann

Upvote 0

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really think we can rule out the gun part. It looks like but isn't a stripper clip. Uncle! Monty

Upvote 0

armchairQB30

Jun 21, 2007
It is either a zinc or alum die casting, the ejector pin marks on one side indicate that it is a component used for mass production. I assume that is an alum 380 (die cast alloy) and is a lock part or an automotive part. Since the corrosion appears to be at a minimum it could also be plated. The picture provided does not show the part close up.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread