What's new

any ideas are appreciated...

up north

Full Member
Joined
Jun 3, 2009
Messages
127
Reaction score
28
Golden Thread
0
Location
The Frozen Tundra
Detector(s) used
Whites's PRIZM V
Heathkit GP-45 Metal Locator
Garrett Ace 150
Pacific Northwest Insturments BH2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found near an old campground. This object is about 4 inches long, solid brass and has no writing on it We found a few wheat cents nearby from 20's and 30's.
 

Attachments

  • whazzit.webp
    whazzit.webp
    111.7 KB · Views: 635
  • Untitled-2.webp
    Untitled-2.webp
    15.4 KB · Views: 503
IronSpike said:
Broken knee said:
In my opinion the only thing close to this being a ophthalmology tool is it's shape. Look at that spring on the face? It doesn't match the ends turn up and look to have had a wire between them or some thing else? I think more research need's to be done to id this. And I'm still looking, well that's my 2 cent's worth
Broken Knee

Are you refering to the spring described in the patent text 32), 33) ?
32 is no match and 33 is not even close most of that scope seams to be sheet metal and if you look at the side view it looks as if the overall shape is made of multiple pieces the piece posted has the shape in one piece. I hope you understand what I'm trying to say
Broken knee
 
Upvote 0
Broken knee said:
IronSpike said:
Broken knee said:
In my opinion the only thing close to this being a ophthalmology tool is it's shape. Look at that spring on the face? It doesn't match the ends turn up and look to have had a wire between them or some thing else? I think more research need's to be done to id this. And I'm still looking, well that's my 2 cent's worth
Broken Knee

Are you refering to the spring described in the patent text 32), 33) ?
32 is no match and 33 is not even close most of that scope seams to be sheet metal and if you look at the side view it looks as if the overall shape is made of multiple pieces the piece posted has the shape in one piece. I hope you understand what I'm trying to say
Broken knee
I understand what you are saying but I was thinking this is one of the multiple pieces. Its definitely not complete. Also the patent pictures are rarely the same. Maybe some more pics of the object will help satisfy.
 
Upvote 0
old surveyors sight -- screws into the tripod top --would be my guess
 
Upvote 0
I still think it's a vintage ophthalmoscope, they were all slightly different depending on manufacturer and when they were built.

Joe
 

Attachments

  • Untitled-2.webp
    Untitled-2.webp
    28.3 KB · Views: 264
  • antique-ophthalmoscope-loring-104.webp
    antique-ophthalmoscope-loring-104.webp
    6.9 KB · Views: 268
Upvote 0
wolcottdigger said:
I still think it's a vintage ophthalmoscope, they were all slightly different depending on manufacturer and when they were built.

Joe
Well I stand corrected, this image is closer in design to the op's pic. Great id Breezie :notworthy:
Broken Knee
 
Upvote 0
I am 100% convinced on this ID. Now what was it doing way out in the North woods? Thank you very much for the help.
 
Upvote 0
up north said:
I am 100% convinced on this ID. Now what was it doing way out in the North woods? Thank you very much for the help.

My best education assumption is: Back during that time, the local doctor(who was the 'everything' doc) traveled from township to township via horse/buggy, and somewhere along the way, it fell out of his bag. In your neck of the woods, (I'm assuming you're in the frozen tuntra) I feel there were only very few doctors, thus he was a traveling man. ;D Breezie
 
Upvote 0
wonderful IDing -- very odd in its placement / location --thats why i was thinking surveyors gear. --
 
Upvote 0
That is one HELL of a good ID, guys! :notworthy:
 
Upvote 0

Similar threads

  • Question Question
🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Any ideas?
Replies
4
Views
557
  • Question Question
🔎 UNIDENTIFIED From a shipwreck
Replies
2
Views
456

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom