any ideas on age and/or history

keegah

Mar 26, 2007
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT/Fisher Impulse/eyes + hands
found on beach on east coast of florida, approx 18"x4"x5-6"(bottom is rounded). has metal still attached to face, a bored hole w/iron? sleeve and apparently square headed nails. quarter is included for sizing. thanks for any help.Hope this helps i'm just a stupid 1 fingered typing carpenter.this photo shows the metal attached, the bore hole and a squre nail along w/a quarter(stole it back from my kids).btw, this is the face. the 2nd picture is a closeup of the bored hole. much thanks,guys ps larger picture @ bottom

Attachments

• beam.jpg
    beam.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 505
  • IMG_0706.jpg
    IMG_0706.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 505
  • IMG_0707.jpg
    IMG_0707.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 503
  • IMG_0708.jpg
    IMG_0708.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 506
  • IMG_0709.jpg
    IMG_0709.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 500
  • face wquarter.jpg
    face wquarter.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 422
  • face closeup.jpg
    face closeup.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 407

jonnyrebel00

Nov 9, 2006
Mobile, Al
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, Garrett Master Hunter
BioProfessor said:
I'm confused. What's the "face?" Where's the "face?" And I think someone stole your quarter.

Daryl

the quarter is in the 6th picture down.

as for what it is i couldnt tell ya.

Upvote 0

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
I think it would take a miracle to identify that piece beyond what you already know. A piece found on a beach from an unknown location, an unknown object, and from an unknown time.

:-\

Upvote 0

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah. Could be part of a ship. Could be part of a pier. Could be washed into the sea from a house that was caught up in a flood.

As far as a face - the human mind is designed to recognize faces. We're social animals whose survival is based on visual clues (like "the look" from across a bar room ;) ). We therefore tend to see them in everything. From Jesus on a watertower to Mary on a toasted cheese sandwich.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
keegah

keegah

Mar 26, 2007
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT/Fisher Impulse/eyes + hands
i'm a carpenter by trade and i have my own small mill; so i'm pretty aware of modern milling and modern lumber sizes. What is stumping me is the metal plating possibly fastened by square headed nails. I first thought SPANISH SHIP(being a newbie) but then my practical contractor side kicked in and said must be some type of latch for a gate or pen, but the lumber size doesn't work..The lumber is old and the "bottom" is round. There are quite a few nail remnants/holes on "face" but none on sides or bottom.Also, this particular piece was wider @one time.Are there any internet sites on spanish shipbuilding? Thanks, Keegah

Upvote 0
J

joey94

Ok to see the face u need to go to the second picter and tilt ur head to the right then hopfuly u can see the face

joey

Upvote 0

STR8JCKTED2U

Tenderfoot
Oct 17, 2006
i would also agree as it being a part of a ship.square nails were all handmade.people would usually burn stuff down to get the nails.
kenny

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread