What's new

Any ideas?

CHUDs

Sr. Member
Joined
Feb 13, 2014
Messages
440
Reaction score
677
Golden Thread
0
Location
Santa Cruz, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’ve been laid up from a tonsillectomy this week and I’m very bored so I’ve been looking through some of my chips and flakes. I noticed that this one had finely worked edges, which I hadn’t seen before. Is it a throwaway or practice piece? A graver? Broken or unfinished projectile? As always thanks for the input! ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1521301640.621436.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1521301651.075966.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1521301662.740589.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1521301671.887739.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1521301682.089177.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1521301695.688399.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1521301726.005664.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1521301753.758712.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1521301773.542358.webp
 
Upvote 0
Possibly used as spokeshave to clean up arrow shafts.
 
Nice flake tool! One pic makes it look like a small base reworked....
 
I live less than a mile, as the crow flies, from there!
 
point base is what I thought would of been a nice color if whole
 
Looks like a small Flake Tool to me. I have a site where I find all kinds of these and they will show some very finely done edge work on them. Great looking piece.

Here is a tray of Flake Tools all from the same site. You can see the finely flaked edges on these in the close ups.
 

Attachments

  • image.webp
    image.webp
    1.3 MB · Views: 75
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    1.4 MB · Views: 96
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    1.3 MB · Views: 93
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    1.3 MB · Views: 71
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    1.4 MB · Views: 89
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    1 MB · Views: 75
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    1.1 MB · Views: 82
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    1.5 MB · Views: 93
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    1.4 MB · Views: 76
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    1.3 MB · Views: 76
I don't know why these photos all look so distorted. They don't look like that before I post them.
 
Thanks for the pics Grim! The edge work looks very similar...a multi purpose tool? The pics look fine to me, even zoomed in.
 
Hi TGR, try a flat green color background i dont know what it is about green but it just pops, also do a tripod timer pic.
 
It looks like it's made from silicified wood. aka petrified wood. Gary
 
It’s either Monterey chert or Franciscan chert.
 
Thanks for the pics Grim! The edge work looks very similar...a multi purpose tool? The pics look fine to me, even zoomed in.

I think a lot of them were Expedient Tools made for just that moment when they needed it and then tossed. Most of them are Multi Tools though.
 
Looks like a scraper to me. Looks to be worked. Is it made of obsidian? I find several scrapers where I live near Santa Fe NM.
 
It’s made if Monterey or Franciscan chert
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom