Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any information is welcomed
tn_moved_over.gif
I moved ya from HELP! over to WHAT IS IT? for more exposure.

tn_notice.gif
NOTE: Forum HELP! Description: This section contains guides tutorials on how to use the new TreasureNet.com software.

Upvote 0

Retired Sarge

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2009
Panama City Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Obviously a standard knife bayonet, and a cruciform bayonet, and a barreled receiver for a rifle.

Possibly an early Mauser style bayonet, based on the short angled pommel.

Barreled receiver possibly a Arisaka Type 38.

Cruciform bayonet....? Can't see enough of the socket to see if it has provisions for a locking ring, or the type of slot/mortise it has. These traits can help in IDing it.

What country were these found?

Below is a shot of the receiver on my Type 38 Arisaka, notice the similar slot for the bolt. Not finding any Mausers, Mannlichers, Carcanos, Enfields, Springfields, Remington, Krags, etc with this slot yet. Plus it's definitely not a Mosin Nagant.

20221109_115510.jpg

Here's a bayonet from my Yugoslavia M48 Mauser. Notice the angled pommel. Early German, Belgium, Yugoslavia, and Czechoslovakian bayonets had the same short angled pommel.

20221109_123312.jpg
20221109_123249.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 3
OP
OP
Jorgeke

Jorgeke

Bronze Member
Oct 13, 2021
Obviously a standard knife bayonet, and a cruciform bayonet, and a barreled receiver for a rifle.

Possibly an early Mauser style bayonet, based on the short angled pommel.

Barreled receiver possibly a Arisaka Type 38.

Cruciform bayonet....? Can't see enough of the socket to see if it has provisions for a locking ring, or the type of slot/mortise it has. These traits can help in IDing it.

What country were these found?

Below is a shot of the receiver on my Type 38 Arisaka, notice the similar slot for the bolt. Not finding any Mausers, Mannlichers, Carcanos, Enfields, Springfields, Remington, Krags, etc with this slot yet. Plus it's definitely not a Mosin Nagant.

View attachment 2054580

Here's a bayonet from my Yugoslavia M48 Mauser. Notice the angled pommel. Early German, Belgium, Yugoslavia, and Czechoslovakian bayonets had the same short angled pommel.

View attachment 2054582 View attachment 2054581
Very ilustrative

Thank you Sarge.

Keep in touch

Upvote 1

Retired Sarge

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2009
Panama City Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Very ilustrative

Thank you Sarge.

Keep in touch

Thank you, glad I was able to help some and get you pointed in a direction. Sometimes I go a tad overboard with pictures. But having a mess of military surplus weapons, I have the luxury of just pulling them from a rack and comparing the posted pictures to an actual specimen to aid in an ID.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Timbermaster

Oct 21, 2018
MT
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Nokta Makro Simplex
Primary Interest:
Other
I must agree with Sarge on the Type 38 rifle, nice ID. What a neat find! I can’t imagine how this worked it’s way to Mexico , if that is indeed where it was found. Certainly a WW2 bring back by some GI.

Upvote 1

Retired Sarge

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2009
Panama City Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
I must agree with Sarge on the Type 38 rifle, nice ID. What a neat find! I can’t imagine how this worked it’s way to Mexico , if that is indeed where it was found. Certainly a WW2 bring back by some GI.

If in fact found in Mexico it would make sense then. Mexico had a contract with Japan (Koishikowa Arsenal) for 50,000 Type 38 Arisaka rifles. Only around 5,000 made it to Mexico before the Revolution, making them a rare rifle. So if found in Mexico it means the dots would now be connected.

Last edited:
Upvote 1

Timbermaster

Oct 21, 2018
MT
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Nokta Makro Simplex
Primary Interest:
Other
If in fact found in Mexico it would make sense then. Mexico had a contract with Japan (Koishikowa Arsenal) for 50,000 Type 38 Arisaka rifles. Only around 5,000 made it to Mexico before the Revolution, making them a rare rifle. So if found in Mexico it means the dots would now be connected.
Incredible information Sarge. IIRC the OP is in Mexico. Apologies if I’m off on that.

Upvote 1

Retired Sarge

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2009
Panama City Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
With a possible Mexico connection, the cruciform bayonet could be an India Pattern Brown Bess bayonet. Mexico acquired some India Pattern rifles sometime in the 1830s or so.

The blade bayonet could be a bayonet for the Mexican M1910 Mauser, which was a Mexican produced copy of M1902 Mauser.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions