What's new

Any mushroom experts out there? This one looked pretty tasty to me!

I like them fried, but hate them in a salad. Nothing worse than raw mushrooms!
 
I also like stuffed mushrooms with lots of Gronk's hot sauce on them!

gronks-hot-sauce.webp
 
You've got to know your mushrooms before you even attempt to eat them. Sign up for classes, read every book and guide, let your instructor eat them first then watch him/her for 48 hours, if they live then you can eat them. Many Asians come here and see a wild mushroom that looks like an edible one they have back in their country, sadly they make a terrible mistake and get sick or die. I personally, like store bought mushrooms but will never eat those found by me or anyone else. Even if you were starving, it's better to kill a rabbit or a squirrel than eat a wild fungus. Death can be pretty sometimes, like colorful fungus.
 
Being Old fashioned when it comes to Mushrooms I have found that the small paperback Mushroom ID books with good Pics are a great way to check Mushrooms, could be that a lot of you guys are passing up Fantastic Dinner mushrooms, Now, I'll go to the freezer, get the ELK Backstrap, and dried Morels from last season, Gonna eat some of the Best Food God has to offer tonight.
 
So those big bright red mushrooms with orange spots on them are probably a no :laughing7:
 
Hard to mistake a wild morel, been picking/eating since I was 6.
 
I think that there is fungus-amongus!
 
From what I've read none of the tree types are edible.

Not true, chicken of the woods grows on trees, turkey tail, hen of the woods grows at the base of trees, lions main is found on downed trees, the jews ear also grows on trees.
 
The toxins in poison mushrooms can cause kidney or liver failure. Sounds like a really bad way to die. No more thoughts of eating wild mushrooms for me!
 
I think it is a cousin to the Athletis Fungetis.
Be sure to wear odor eaters after coming in contact with that plant.
When it comes to mushrooms I think it is safer to eat the odor eaters. I don't mess with them. I don't play Russian roulette either
 
Generally an edible mushroom that normally grows on a tree needs to be growing on oak. For instance, if you do find an edible mushroom like hen of the woods, it needs to be growing on oak to still be edible. I would love to get more into mushroom hunting, but the safest way is to go foraging with a pro. However, there are, IIRC, around 5 edible mushrooms that are easy to identify and do not have a poisonous identical look-alike, but one must be able to understand more than just what color it is.

I do have a hen of the woods dehydrated and packed into jars. At my in-laws, there is a chicken of the woods, but someone else always snags it before we get there! I have also harvested and eaten chanterelles and morels.
I am a perfect example of a "chicken of the woods"
 
If you don't know the wild mushroom world and don't have access to information or a experienced mycologist, then it's a big no no. Too many chances for mistakes that we can't afford. I've been in wild mushrooms for 7 years. I limit myself to chanterelles, boletes and few others. If I have a doubt, it will not end in my pan and I never got sick.
 
Last edited:
This is the rare Middle TN. "miniature elephant ear mushroom". They should NEVER be consumed! The only way to know for sure if it is safe is if a sex toy is found near it. Obliviously this is a safe one. Go heavy on the butter... Their GREAT!!!!!!!!!!

sounds like you may have already had a serve of shrooms?

chub
 
The toxins in poison mushrooms can cause kidney or liver failure. Sounds like a really bad way to die. No more thoughts of eating wild mushrooms for me!

haha...Ya, doesn't sound like a fun time to me either!! I also know from picking mushrooms, some have to be cooked. You will end up sitting on the toilet all night if you eat them raw...Or by not cooking them long enough! There is something that has an effect on your stomach, and whatever it is(I can't think of the terms or words) has to be cooked out. And maybe it doesn't bother everyone, or certain areas, but I'm not taking the chance again!! :laughing7: It was either dog peters(woodsmans?) or the sponge looking things. Morels....I've been picking those most of my life, but I have more fun going out looking for them and giving them to people that eat them! I've been sick on them twice and that was enough for me. once uncooked, and again years later I thought I would try them again, cooked. :laughing7:

I'll pick the wild for people that eat those, then pick mine up at the grocery store!
 
Last edited:
I think wild animals know better than us and I suspect they have some immunity from evolution. Amanitas are dangerous, some species are real deadly. We have one here that will kill your liver on the 15th day, but you'll have zero symptoms from the 14 days before. As soon you swallowed it, you live on borrowed time (14 days exactly) and there is no cure. Some even gives you heavy sweating and hallucinations, if you drink beer or wine 24 hours before or after eating them. Some will make you puke your guts. You really have to be informed and careful. In survival mode, mushrooms are not to consider.
 
Leave it alone , that thing has poison written all over it.
 
I think wild animals know better than us and I suspect they have some immunity from evolution. Amanitas are dangerous, some species are real deadly. We have one here that will kill your liver on the 15th day, but you'll have zero symptoms from the 14 days before. As soon you swallowed it, you live on borrowed time (14 days exactly) and there is no cure. Some even gives you heavy sweating and hallucinations, if you drink beer or wine 24 hours before or after eating them. Some will make you puke your guts. You really have to be informed and careful. In survival mode, mushrooms are not to consider.

There is a mushroom called the drunkards mushroom. It causes your body not to be able to metabolize alcohol. Makes you sick. That might be what you're think of.
It kind of looks like a morel.
 
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom