jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Ran across a Rob Zombie t-shirt but did not buy it. Of course it was pre-owned. What is the deal breaker on t-shirts?

Look up "rob zombie t-shirt" on ebay. Over 1500 results come up. Should tell you everything you need to know.

Shirts should be just like anything else: condition, rarity, supply, demand

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Used to collect T-Shirts from all over.......and, after a few decades they were all over............my house. Finally had to pick out the best and shed the rest.
Now, the only ones I "collect" are those given away by a national box store chain.........and I wear them on the dirtiest, filthiest jobs I have..................

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look them up before buying, a smart phone is your friend. The only single theme I've consistently made money from is Harley Davidson t-shirts.

DaytonaRacer

May 21, 2013
NJ
Detector(s) used
BH Tracker IV,
Fisher F22,
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
I've found that vintage concert tees - regardless of their condition - sell really well on eBay, especially Aerosmith and Jefferson Starship. Also, vintage t-shirts in good shape that are regional (St. Louis radio station celebrating their 20th anniversary in 1987) or very unusual (Moe's Major Brew in Nashville) have niche markets, too. Anything else isn't worth the bother.

OP
OP
Beans

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've found that vintage concert tees - regardless of their condition - sell really well on eBay, especially Aerosmith and Jefferson Starship. Also, vintage t-shirts in good shape that are regional (St. Louis radio station celebrating their 20th anniversary in 1987) or very unusual (Moe's Major Brew in Nashville) have niche markets, too. Anything else isn't worth the bother.

Thanks good info. With all the clothes that get donated to the TS, the Rob Zombie is only concert t-shirt that I have seen.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look them up before buying, a smart phone is your friend. The only single theme I've consistently made money from is Harley Davidson t-shirts.
Yes, when it comes to thrift store picking, a smartphone can be your friend every now and then. Just don't be like this guy- http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/g...0-thrift-store-hunter-status-bush-league.html

Tags are the best way to id the vintage shirts. Condition is another. Usually they won't be found in prime condition, that's why many times there won't be a tag. Here is some info on old tee shirts- Vintage T-Shirt The Brand and Tag Guide and more on specific labels- Brands | Defunkd Vintage T-Shirts

I've sold a few Harley and Bike Week Tshirts in the past. I still have these old (garage sale find) concert shirts to get rid of some day-

attachment.php

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

theegypt

Greenie
Dec 6, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The first thing I would look at would be the tag and the graphic. On the tag you want to look for shirts that are 50/50 (50% cotton 50% polyester). Also on the bottom of the graphic there will often be a copyright date which could help you date the shirt. If the graphic is cracked, that could be an indication of age. The 50/50 shirt will also feel softer than a 100% cotton shirt. Now all of the things I mentioned above could be faked/reproduced, but I've only come across one "reproduction" vintage tee at a thrift store. If the tag said 50/50 and the logo on the tag was an old one, and then the graphic had a copyright of say, 1987, it would be worth a pick up imo. If it was 100% cotton with a date of 2007, then you could probably get $10 max for it.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Picked this up from goodwill today

Too small for me so I bought it for ebay

Any info??
I'd say you should be able to get between $25 and $50 for that shirt. It looks to be in very good condition. Winterland Productions was a San Francisco T-shirt manufacturing firm founded in the early 1970's by Rock impresario Bill Graham. They filed for bankruptcy in 1997. I'd say that shirt is from the late 80's judging by the style of that label for that particular brand. By the early 90's the labels for Winterland productions were shown as being made in Mexico and China. Here are a few examples of their labels-

One like yours-

21454e.jpg

early 80's (1983) example-

dopedoll_9481432062891.jpg

1995 example (Made in China paper label under main one)-

Stormcrow_74901349311305.jpg

1995 Made in Mexico example-

mvtgjunkie_42591351800943.JPG

Baltimore

Feb 18, 2013
Maryland/Vermont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, when it comes to thrift store picking, a smartphone can be your friend every now and then. Just don't be like this guy- http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/g...0-thrift-store-hunter-status-bush-league.html

Tags are the best way to id the vintage shirts. Condition is another. Usually they won't be found in prime condition, that's why many times there won't be a tag. Here is some info on old tee shirts- Vintage T-Shirt The Brand and Tag Guide and more on specific labels- Brands | Defunkd Vintage T-Shirts

I've sold a few Harley and Bike Week Tshirts in the past. I still have these old (garage sale find) concert shirts to get rid of some day-

attachment.php

Dang Digg, you're going to make a mint off of those shirts! I wouldn't ask less than $100 for any of those, and I'd probably start them all around $250 or $300 per just to see what happens. Nice work!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread