Any opinions on this green bowl?

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.
I know it's in a similar pattern made by Grueby, Teco, Van Briggle, and others... but its not marked other than illegible pencil? marks on the bottom. And if I'm not wrong it appears to be be Ohio clay. I realize there were a multitude made by lesser companies and I don't mind if that's your opinion, but I do know it to be at least 50 yrs. old, as my mother remembers it being her mom's house from back then. It measures roughly 7" wide, 2" tall. If you have any strong opinions, chime in!

Attachments

• bowl2.jpg
    bowl2.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 286
  • bowl.jpg
    bowl.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 316
Great looking pot!!! to ME i would be investigating GRUEBY PATTERNS,cuz it surely looks like a grueby peice.If NOT it is in the same leauge as grueby...HAMPSHIRE,ETC. i know what you mean by OHIO CLAY as i collect roseville,owens,&other ohio potteries as well as others.but the unglazed bottom is also clay used by N.C.potters,such as JUGTOWN,etc.could be Ouachita Pottery(same kind of glaze)of Hot Springs,Arkansas.Grueby marked it's peices w/a paper label until 1909&still did from time to time until disolving.i will investigate more.it's a great looking peice! previous(your MOM) owner from ohio?,as i'm sure you know grueby was a mass.factory&because of its popularity it was MOST likely copied by other mass.pottery co.'s...hand writting(pencil)could have been price,pattern name,etc.

Attachments

• Picture 1041.jpg
    Picture 1041.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 272
  • Picture 1040.jpg
    Picture 1040.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 271
  • Picture 1039.jpg
    Picture 1039.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 277
  • Picture 1038.jpg
    Picture 1038.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 276
  • Picture 1037.jpg
    Picture 1037.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 286
  • Picture 1036.jpg
    Picture 1036.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 279
  • Picture 1035.jpg
    Picture 1035.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 273
Thank you both for the information. What's frustrating about researching it is that many of the art potters copied one another, both in design and the matte green glaze. (why didn't they sign this dang thing!)
Below is a photo of a Weller piece (not mine), but I've seen equally similar patterns from others as well.
I haven't had any relatives that lived near Ohio, but what makes me think of Ohio clay is the redness of the unglazed portion, being from a more iron rich clay than here in New England.

Attachments

• weller.jpg
    weller.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 253
Here's another avenue you can check out,ZANE WARE of Zannesville,Ohio(no book on that pottery that i know of!,auction results!!!),I got to thinking where i saw red clay from Ohio,most of it is YELLOW& Ohio IS the Capital of art pottery,at least AMERICAN art pottery&Zane Ware poped into my head being a favorite&having NONE!!!(but have had&sold many!) I went to"THE BOOK" on american art pottery&took these pics.I love the red clay hanging planter/or vase in this pic.it has a brown inner glaze,the other pic look at the bottom design,PRETTY similar to your pot,then mixed w/the red clay&(i have see the "Brick Red w/Green",as it's called vase before w/pencil PRICE& word Brick on it.) You MAY have a peice of ZANE WARE,Which would be at about $250.00 or so,At least thats what i would think,so look more at auction results,(price guides if you have too,good way to I.D.,&pictures!)for zane ware at least you'll find out if it is or isn't!!! &have fun :icon_study: diong it and gaining Knowledge,win win situation!
HH ALL!!!

Attachments

• Picture 1052.jpg
    Picture 1052.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 235
  • Picture 1053.jpg
    Picture 1053.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 247
Thanks for the information Token. The writing on it is shown below. As best I can make out it has a price of $1.50 (underlined), and then possibly the word "complete"? If this is correct perhaps originally it had one of those "frog" things that sat in the middle with holes in it for holding flowers? The wear inside suggests that might have been the case, but I have no idea how this was used over the years, so I didn't want to jump to that conclusion. Oh, also there is some sort of mark (being pointed at below) that I can't make sense of even with a magnifying glass. It almost looks like a miniature signature, but it could be a stray mark or just something that happened to rubbed onto it over the years, but just maybe it's a clue?

Attachments

• bowl4.jpg
    bowl4.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 240
  • bowl3.jpg
    bowl3.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 236
How big is that bowl? It looks like something my mother bought to put salsa and chips in. Salsa bowl was smaller and sat in the middle with chips all around. Frankoma made, just down the road from home at Sapulpa, OK. I think my sister has it now? Just going from memory, so a guess only. Monty

NHbenz said:
Thanks for the information Token. The writing on it is shown below. As best I can make out it has a price of $1.50 (underlined), and then possibly the word "complete"? If this is correct perhaps originally it had one of those "frog" things that sat in the middle with holes in it for holding flowers? The wear inside suggests that might have been the case, but I have no idea how this was used over the years, so I didn't want to jump to that conclusion. Oh, also there is some sort of mark (being pointed at below) that I can't make sense of even with a magnifying glass. It almost looks like a miniature signature, but it could be a stray mark or just something that happened to rubbed onto it over the years, but just maybe it's a clue?
Ok,too ME (i've been collecting&handling american art pottery for 25+yrs.now.) the info.you provided makes TOTAL sence to ME,the"flower frog" as it was called,ALL the Ohio pottery's did this as did most all if not all American Art Pottery factory's! I am sure that this peice did come with a flower(either as a set,or separate)frog,the price of $1.50 sounds good,complete sounds good also...The mark(?),could very well be the artist mark,the person who designed the peice(further research!!!) along w/the incised line(?),That sound like a potters mark,Ready to fire type or ready to glaze,etc. mark.when consulting the book on american art pottery frankoma is not even mentioned but is still concidered by many as art pottery,i know frankoma well as there is many many peices out there.in my opinion(although there is some very cool frankoma!) salsa in best dipped from frankoma,good utility ware.Can you try&get the clearest possible picture of "mark(S)???,VERY COOL peice!,Heres some various american art pottery vase's/bowl's w/flower frogs,most seperate except for elf. not sure if thats seperate. HH ALL!!!

Attachments

• Picture 1103.jpg
    Picture 1103.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 225
  • Picture 1098.jpg
    Picture 1098.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 223
  • Picture 1102.jpg
    Picture 1102.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 221
  • Picture 1100.jpg
    Picture 1100.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 228
Thanks again for the further information. Monty: it's about 7" wide, 2" deep.
Token, I've taken the best possible photo of the script, which I know is illegible, but perhaps it's in the style of a known artist? And does the word "complete" need re-examination?

Attachments

• bowl5.jpg
    bowl5.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 230
NHbenz said:
Thanks again for the further information. Monty: it's about 7" wide, 2" deep.
Token, I've taken the best possible photo of the script, which I know is illegible, but perhaps it's in the style of a known artist? And does the word "complete" need re-examination?
The BLUE looking mark is INSCRIBBED? IN the clay NOT on it? like written in grease pen(was done w/pencil markings) opposed to "scratched "in when clay is still wet before glazing&fireing...

The blue mark is not inscribed or etched in the clay, rather it's something written on the piece (although I can't make out a single letter of what it might say).

I think most if not all Frankoma has pretty plain markings. They had a big sale once when they were going out of business and I'm not sure those pieces were all marked. However, someone bought the plant and they have relocated to the top of a huge clay pit and still putting out pottery. Monty

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back