Any thoughts on this item? Artifact or not?

ljp

Tenderfoot
Aug 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My husband found this several years ago in Kansas City, Missouri. He had a friend take it to someone they knew and that person deemed this a natural formation. Any opinions to the contrary here?

Thanks in advance,
LJP

001.JPG 008.JPG 011.JPG

Plug N Play

Bronze Member
Aug 23, 2014
California
Detector(s) used
De Havilland Canada DHC-7-102 Dash 7 - Fugro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Indians would pack fossils and rock oddities home, same as we do.
I can't identify this with any artifact I'm familiar with, and lean towards natural ... though it is odd and really cool.

It would take very close scrutiny to determine if there was any remnants whatsoever of man made use wear, or manufacture.
Off hand, I'd say it's natural.

Upvote 0

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My first thought was Archaic period fish hook. I suggest you post it in the Indian Artifacts forum on this board.

fig49.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
L

ljp

Tenderfoot
Aug 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for the reply:) When we found it, we both instantly thought it was some kind of large hook of some kind, though that was probably a "that cloud looks like a dog!" kind of a thing. lol. Oops, hit post before I finished. Here's a not so great closer shot. It's pretty smooth. I don't see any lines or other signs of working to it.

Attachments

• 010.JPG
    010.JPG
    307.1 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
L

ljp

Tenderfoot
Aug 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You commented as I was posting. Glad my husband and I aren't the only ones who thought that. lol. I'll follow your suggestion. Thanks!

My first thought was Archaic period fish hook. I suggest you post it in the Indian Artifacts forum on this board.

View attachment 1198096

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread