What's new

Anybody else having a tough time lately?

coincrawlin

Sr. Member
Joined
Sep 13, 2010
Messages
354
Reaction score
10
Golden Thread
0
Location
SoCal
Detector(s) used
Teknetics G2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After taking a couple weeks off from searching due to work I got back into it this weekend. Ten boxes in to a fourteen box search and all I can say is, holy **** silver findings have really fallen off. Totals so far are (4) '64's, ( 8 ) 40%'s, (1) impaired proof (1981 which I did not have already so it filled a spot in the collection), and (1) '87-P.

After reading how so many seem to find those gold plated "collector" coins with the 1960 - 1980 stamped into them, I was wondering how long it would take me to find one of those. About two rolls after having that thought, I found one...and then proceeded to find three more in the following boxes. Not sure if I should keep 'em or throw 'em back.

These boxes have also yielded the most "junk" I have found as well...a 1961 Australian penny, a round piece of plastic, a car wash token, and a bent Lincoln cent. I would expect this kind of stuff from a bag, but not rolled coin. Don't they filter this stuff out?? I don't mind it so much except for when the junk gets counted toward the coin count and I get shorted (which happened twice).

If it doesn't pick up soon, I think I will cut back my number of boxes, maybe open up another bank account to try to get a different source, or drive a greater distance to try to get some untapped potential.
 
Upvote 0
My last box yielded a bunch of the new gold dollar coins, oddly enough. One roll had 2 in it, but only was 'short' one .50 piece. I can't complain when I find 1.00 coins in leu of .50 clad! But yes I agree, my boxes have been very weak as of late. You don't order from a Garda supplied bank I hope. I use Garda branches as my dumps since they pull silver.
 
All the suppliers must be filtering out the silver, and have been, for the last two years. My proof is the boxes I've received.
 
I stopped with the boxes a year or so ago and just hit the banks in the grocery store with a cockamamie
story about grandkids birthday, pinata, etc, and they always give this old man whatever half's and ikes and bens and susan b's and stuff that they have.

I get a lot of coins I don't want and just use them in the stores but I get a heck of a better return on the good ones though.

I think the first time I did last year or so I posted the results and have been doing it since then cause it's working. Must be these hard times that have folks turning them into the grocery mini banks.
 
Box 11: Another skunk and shorted another coin to boot with another car wash token >:(
 
I've been ordering from the same supplier and had 8-10 skunk boxes (over a 1.5 month period) since I search 2 boxes a week, finally this last week I got some good silver, so sometimes you just have to work through the skunks.

I ordered from a different supplier and got shorted $2.50 in halves with one 40% in the box.

Just keep at it :)
 
I get two bags (one bag = one box) of halves a week, taking off a week for vacation and another time where they ordered just one bag. So 16 bags = one 40% two weeks ago. :( Last week I got my first magic coin. But the number of marked coins is going down, so I am hoping it might pick up.

That's it. One 40% half since the last part of October.
 
Keep at it.....It's out there. Sometimes it just runs in spirts.
Hope you have better luck with your next boxes.
all the best
rileyboy
 
My last four boxes have been skunks...so I try a different route and buy all the bags from the coin counter in one of my banks (no pennies). They all totaled around $800 and I came out with one single silver dime...lol I did save some pre-60's nickels, but no silvers.

I then went to my main bank with the intention of doing the same thing...and they would not sell me the bags. I asked why and she said that they all have to equal out at the end of the day with what was received in the machine. To that I said...they will...it will just be in paper money form in your drawer. She said no...it's not the same and was not very nice about it at all. I never have liked their personalities in that bank so I was about to just pull all of my money out of it and move to my CRH bank...until I remembered I had direct deposits going there for my two son's accounts.

O well...anyways...crappy luck with silver lately!
 
i went to my bank on saturday they had no rolls of halves in stock so i talked to the manager (who i've known for years) and she told me that her and her staff have been cherry pickin out all the silver for a while now since the silver prices have been up, she also told me that they also pick out all silver certificates and star note bills. needless ta say i guess i'll be tryin a different bank and hope they don't do the same. guess i don't blame them, i'd be doin the same thing if i worked there.
 
Maybe I don't have it so bad...looking at it positively I still found some silver, which is better than none. Results lately just haven't been near as good as a few months ago, but maybe I just got lucky and got spoiled from good finds early as I was just starting out. The dumping part gets to be a bear though when you haven't found much.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom