Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have traced mine to to 1300s, 99.8% of my DNA comes from Ireland, England and Wales. Turns out I am related to King John, you know the bad king in Robin Hood lore.

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been working on mine for a few years now. Had the DNA test done and , no big surprise, mostly German, English and a little Norwegian.
I used Ancestry.com for the test but I use familysearch.org for my searching. It's a free site and is very comprehensive. They even e-mail me with new links and hints to my family tree.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Years ago I planned a trip to the Highlands of Scotland to research through parish record for my genealogy. After getting back home from the trip with all the information, I was told the Mormon Church Genealogical Library (located four miles from my home) already had copied the records and were available to me most any day. A very embarrassing moment, but a great trip anyway.
Don..

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My mom was adopted and knew little about her real family. Mom took the Ancestry test and boom! Instant family. A new found cousin has all the family info going back to the revolutionary war. My great great grandfather fought in the cornfield at Antietam with the 27th IN infantry and was wounded. Brother killed. I hit the jackpot with information I never knew.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Mom did our ancestry years ago, and I never actually took an interest in that research. Now Mom's gone - passed on her 95th birthday about 6 months ago. I leave that to my older brother. He's done the right thing - a good fellow from the local historical museum came up and spent the day in Mom's "OFFICE" capturing her records. Really miss Mom....

relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Poconos, Nw.NJ & Delaware Valley
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I hear you. My mom passed away a year and half ago at 90 and I miss her greatly. Funny she said her grandmother read on her palm that she would live to be 90. My family is small and it’s just me and my sister and cousins I don’t have contact with. My father side from Scotland my mother’s side Hungarian but I know so little. I hope to do some genealogy exploring in the future. Maybe find some lost relatives.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You do find some interesting stuff out. My relation to King John of
England is through one of his mistresses, of all the Kings to be related to, it had to be the evil King John, it couldn't be King Richard The Lion Hearted.:dontknow: .

DigToChina

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2016
GTA East, Ontario
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Fisher F2, ProPointer AT
I have traced mine to to 1300s, 99.8% of my DNA comes from Ireland, England and Wales. Turns out I am related to King John, you know the bad king in Robin Hood lore.
No shit? My kids are related to you then, lol.

“Hey kids! Get your luggage. We’re going to Florida to stay with your cousin TH.” 🤣

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I had the DNA test also. A couple weeks ago I found some Spanish (minimal) ancestry. That got me going and got my car rear back onto the couch and in front of the computer. I thought how cool to have a conquistador in my lineage. Wrong again.

All the family rumors were true. Yes, one of my ancestors did marry an American Indian. But it was not John Wheat who supposedly married a Cherokee. It was my OTHER ancestor John Rolfe who married Matoaka Rebecca Pocahontas! Surprise! Here dad was Powhatan. They make movies about these people. Also found so many familiar names in colonial Virginia and Maryland it stumps your brain! We took one line back into Scotland to Robert the Bruce, and several more generations back from him. Maximillian I, Holy Roman Emperor is in there, and that line goes back to the 1100's but wait there's more! I have 15 generations on some lines. Yeah, we been there, done that. I visited Jamestown, Virginia on Monday just because. It is really odd to see a status of your ancestor at the National Park. Odd. That's a pic of good ole' Max. Those folks didn't live long...that started changing after they came to America. Back in the 1600's a lot of my ancestors lived in their 70's, 80's, 90's and a couple to 100. Back before then, thirties to fifties. Too much plague.

Attachments

• holy roman emperor.jpg
    holy roman emperor.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 77

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I did almost all of my American genealogy 40years ago so my mother could get into the DAR. I was successful. DNA studies revealed some American Indian Ancestry and Welsh, Scottish, English, and most recently Spanish? Spanish, like what? A marrooned conquistador? So...I did get some answers recently. You do any research on yours?
Yes, I have been working on mine for 40 some years although with DNA testing it has taken some giant leaps forward. On my dad’s side we have everything, from ancestors who came on the Mayflower to runaway slaves and Native Americans from several tribes. Along with a number of other ethnicities I am 4% African American and 4% Native American. I am also 1% “Indigenous people of South America I.e. Inca, but I don’t have a clue where it came from.

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
I tried and found out some interesting stuff, but I haven't gotten very far back. Mostly had oral history to go by and then try to piece it together. I use family search also.
On my maternal side, my grandparents immigrated from Poland. I was able to find Ellis Island records on my grandmother, but nothing on my grandfather. My mother passed in Dec 2019. Upon cleaning out her stuff, I found my grandmother's naturalization certificate. That was pretty cool. As far as I know, my grandfather never went through the naturalization process. I am stopped there. I can't piece together anything from Poland.
On the paternal side, the story goes that an ancestor came from Germany, married a Dutch/Indian (as in NA) and here we are. Other oral tales were that my Great grandfather was a Marshall in a small town. Well, I have proved that wrong. Obviously, we have some relation to who was a Marshall, but I haven't been able to make the connection. I did find news articles and documents that my great grandfather actually went to prison for 3 years. When I presented that info to my dad, he made me promise not to tell his sister because she adored their grandfather and it would devastate her. Records stalled with him and I think it is because there was a fire that destroyed the records. So, I can only speculate the ancestors with similar spelled names beyond that and who it would have been that came from Germany. I started researching my great grandmother, then, trying to make the Dutch/Indian connection. I found her death certificate. Cause of death - frozen. I asked my parents what they knew. Story goes that one winter night my great grandfather was coming home drunk, again, and my great grandmother, apparently fearing another beating, ran away into the night. She was found in a ditch. I was able to go back to her mother and father and found out that my great great grandfather served in the CW Ohio 95th E, if I recall. Still trying to connect the dots, I was able to get my great great grandmother's parents. Now the name of the 3x great grandmother's documents extend back to PA and is a Dutch name and would explain the Dutch blood. The name of the 3x great grandfather could possibly be the NA side (if at all). A death certificate stated he was born in USA. That's it. Can't find anything else on him, only speculation.

So, that is where I am at. Everything is in a folder waiting for me to continue. It is quite a challenge to dig into your genealogy.

Lenrac2

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2021
Illinois
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Denise-Nokta Legend/Garrett Apex Nox600
Bob-AT Max/ Nox800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have been trying but so many relations spelled the last name differently. At least 7 variations . And the place of birth can vary from census to census even though all other info matches. Arrgg!! And cousins marrying cousins. My mom's mother died when my mom was a baby. Her mother's mother also died on Christmas day when SHE was a baby. Hard to find info on the women. Glad my mom broke the curse!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread