What's new

Anybody Use a CZ-21 As Their Main Land Unit?

limegoldconvertible68

Full Member
Joined
Mar 18, 2009
Messages
228
Reaction score
14
Golden Thread
0
Location
Illiniois
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70 with 11"DD coil, CZ-21 with 10" coil, Fisher 1265X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What kind of performance can be expected out of a lock in salt water mode detector? Are there any scenarios where it would trump my F70?
 
The CZ-21 is the water version of the CZ-6a and being a water unit it is lots heavier and in the salt mode all the time. It's performance vs the F70 is deeper but the extra features of the land unit over shadows this.
 
The CZ 20 was little use on soil in my view and having a hard wired coil just adds more problems. Andy Sabich had a photo of himself using a CZ20 inland in the back of his book on Fisher CZ's. Made me wonder why at the time because he wasn't doing himself any favours and CZ21 isn't going to be any better.
 
That would be me, only its the 20, 8" coil. Very good land machine. Full time salt mode not withstanding.
 
limegold I would think the F70 is on par with the CZ21 in all respects on land. I dont know the F70 but if it has true all metal like the cz autotune, stick with the F70. Dual frequency is about the only thing the cz has to nip at the ankles of the 70.
 
The CZ20 and CZ21 come out a very poor second to the CZ5/6/7's. Its like the poor guys who think the Excaliber is better than the Sovereign on dry sand or inland just because it costs more. Just as with the waterproof CZ's the hardwired coil and lack of ability to optimise the detector to the ground conditions costs you dear.
 
U.K. Brian, your comment is laughable, and astronomically wrong. Clearly, you just dont know what the frik yer talkin about when it comes to these machines. Or else you have the topic confused with something else perhaps. Or whatever.
 
Only laughable to some one who knows NOTHING about metal detecting. Anyone with more than a few months of detecting under their belt will know exactly what I'm talking about.
 
I use the CZ-6a which has all the coils. You can hip mount it for wading and it does a great job on reporting on targets in water or land. It is deeper than that silly AT-PRO I bought to learn it.
 
Last edited:
What kind of performance can be expected out of a lock in salt water mode detector? Are there any scenarios where it would trump my F70?

Limegold a ten inch deep silver dime gives a nice response on my cz20 8" coil in scrim mode. I have pulled pull tabs at 12" deep in fresh water sand beaches. The cz20/21 is maxed out for power, you can hear the coil if you put it close to your ear. But, it has high resolution sensitivity and gb adjustment, it can be tamed and tuned to any soil or ground conditions. It has three tone, and dual frequency, and all metal mode and it loves iron to death. Salt mode dont bother it, it does not matter much compared to the normal mode as seen in say the cz5. I dont know the F70 but it should not be terribly far off in the depth department, especially against the cz's with the small 8" coil. I would rather have a F70 for trashy land work though, its probably better with iron, and it's newer and faster and lighter and does not take four nine volt batteries. But I have a sneaking suspicion that the circuitry of the new f machines has a good similarity to the cz's. You've had the f70 for a while now, how do you like it?. I've been threatening to buy the 75 but I would not pass up a 70 any day.
 
Only laughable to some one who knows NOTHING about metal detecting. Anyone with more than a few months of detecting under their belt will know exactly what I'm talking about.
I dont know what your talking about.
 
I Had my cz21 on a three day Virginia relic hunt last week.I always chest mount,so weight is never an issue.The unit easily ground balanced in some bad VA clay.The rain that caused problems with some of the F75's, had no effect on me.The cz worked great.However... The F75's overall spanked me with quanity of good finds. My cz21 had me digging alot of deep iron,that sounded like solid non ferrous targets.(wasted time),and on the flip side I wonder how many "iron" hits were actually deep non ferrous targets? I love my cz21 in the salt water,but my next serious relic hunt may have me swinging an F75. Thanks.
 
U.K. Brian, your comment is laughable, and astronomically wrong. Clearly, you just dont know what the frik yer talkin about when it comes to these machines. Or else you have the topic confused with something else perhaps. Or whatever.
You know, he would be wrong if it weren't based purely upon the fact that the other detectors are really more optimizable, have more self-mods and accessories available and also have a proven track record of performing better. Don't go around making insulting statements before you do your due diligent research you pretentious tool.
 
:sign10: Nothing insults me, I stick to the topic and poo poo nonsensical replies to serious posts. Hey, limegold wants to know how the cz performs as a land tector, compared to the f70. Wake up.
 
The only couple scenarios where my CZ20 beats out my F70 is in that oily, ash-laden and trash infested ground at some demo sites and some sidewalk tearouts. It is much quieter than the F70 in heavily mineralized ground and where there's a lot of nearby utility lines, noisy transformers and overhead lines. While at those same sites, my CZ5 can outperform my CZ20 because it does not have to stay in salt mode, it's normal mode also allows for some more interference. The CZ20 depth is slightly better in good ground but then it's the trash, wire and iron mix that gives the F70 the edge. Unless it's some kind of dig-it-all kind of day and site.

That and I'm fairly certain the CZ20 is the preferable machine in the creeks and waterways as well though I haven't tried a comparison on those sites. Trying to keep the F70 dry because I don't want to wash all the mud off of it just yet.

Again, the mistake most people make are comparing the two, they can be complimentary components if you detect a lot of different sites and ground conditions.

Yes, there are a couple wet-dry machines out there now, but their water capability seems stuck in little more than wading mode at a 10 foot depth.
 
The CZ20 and CZ21 come out a very poor second to the CZ5/6/7's. Its like the poor guys who think the Excaliber is better than the Sovereign on dry sand or inland just because it costs more. Just as with the waterproof CZ's the hardwired coil and lack of ability to optimise the detector to the ground conditions costs you dear.
I reread this thread and found I (LIKED) it. The Sovereign is better than the Excal for dry sand as it is more adjustable as to modes, etc. The CZ-20/21 are water proofed for the beach envirement and are stuck in the salt mode and have non changable coils.
 
What kind of performance can be expected out of a lock in salt water mode detector? Are there any scenarios where it would trump my F70?

Here is my opinion:
The CZ-21 (and 1280-X) are a bit heavier if not hip mounted and not as ergonmically suited for land use compared to your F-70.
(In the water I can say my 1280-X is both weighted and buoyant (balanced well) for diving and snorkelling--built like a tank---same design for CZ-21-- so same applies).
The F-70 should be a bit better in iron infested areas IF it is similar in circuitry to the F-75, but the CZ dual-freq should trump in wet-sand/beach areas.
No depth meter on the CZ-21 and that would make it harder to locate the item on land especially if hunting in trashy ground.
Personally, in a park green I would want to know how deep it was before I cut the plug. In the water or sand, who cares how much you dig.
 
Last edited:
Coilfisher, I must disagree with you, the lack of target depth meter on any brand machine on any land or in any water or trashy ground or in any terrain at all does not make it harder to locate a target ever no matter what, ever, ever never ever. Ever. I can better tell how deep a target is with my cz20 than with any other machine with a depth meter. But dont get me wrong, depth meters are okay as a guide. But depth meters are redundant, if not wrong. Audio trumps video. Furthermore, you must understand the machines, just because a machine is waterproof does not mean it is land proof. The original CZ series started with the CZ5 and the CZ20. These are exactly the same unit, except the CZ5 has a switch for salt mode, and a meter, and the cz20 is waterproof and all time salt mode. All time salt mode does not affect the performance of the cz20 on land, it is a land beast, I can prove it with my finds. The F70 is by and large a better land machine just because it is newer and has dd and does not take four strong nines in the boiler to keep it humming, but it is heavier.
 
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom