Anyone else watching this bill to change US coins to steel ?

VWandSTUDEBAKER

Jul 11, 2010
Gainesville FLorida
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, Whites BHID, Whites SurfPlus,Whites 5900 Pro Sl, various other detectors, TRX pin pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wonder how this will affect how we metal detect. I have never found a steel penny and wonder if will be like finding them. I know this has been tried to get passed before. I have always wanted to send all of my very nasty Zincolns to our elected persons so they can see how we are loosing even more money on what they are made of.

Will steel coins rust ??? :icon_scratch:

https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/114/hr516/summary

Well we already have steel core and plated coins in Canada....they come out of the ground it pretty sad shape after a couple of years.

Regards + HH

Bill

won't happen till they find a way for all machines to accept them
& clad at the same time.

and still not accept slugs or foreign currency

This current bill is projected as less than 1% chance of becoming law

It wouldn't surprise me if they don't find out it is still too costly and go to a "plastic" coin with a digital signature that can not be easily reproduced!

Wade

Well thats a terrible find for today. Hehe, jk. I hope that never happens.

Mexico, Canada, and perhaps other countries have already done this for purposes of saving money. The intrinsic cost of steel and iron is way less than the metals currently used in USA clad coins.

If the day ever comes to that, it's a sad day for md'rs. Because then if you disc. out nails, then kiss clad goodbye. The coins (iron) will be treated just like nails.

Not that I look for clad coins mind you (I detest clad, and only look for old coins). But when you're on the beach storm hunting thick deposits, all that clad *does* add up at the end of the week. I have had $150 from a single week of beach hunting during some storms. Other times, just for kicks and giggles, have set my VDI to *just* dig quarters, and ended up with over 100 quarters in a single hunt. All such hunting would go by the way-side.

But that's years away, even if it were instituted today. Because the $ in the ground now, is still legal tender. But given about 10 years, (just like the transition from copper pennies to zinc pennies), you would start to see the differences in your ratios.

& when it comes down to it,
imagine the amount of Iron deposits
& Iron signatures we will get after 25 or so years of steel coins being dropped on the ground.

What non detectorists don't know, is the amount of small demomination coins (Pennies Especially) dropped (thrown, littered) daily in the U.s. & the Pollution
dropping tons of rotting coins will eventually create.

We as a Whole should warn them.

We need coins that don't Leach into the ground when lost.

For us & for them

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back