What's new

Anyone encounter sharks?

bucketheadben

Jr. Member
Joined
Aug 22, 2010
Messages
31
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Location
Panhandle
Detector(s) used
Sand Shark
Just curious if anyone has ran into a shark metal detecting. How do our detectors effect them?
 
Upvote 0
No effect , It just swam right by.
 
I have had 2 coil bites this week.In the past 5 years I've been chased out of the water twice by Bull sharks and Tiger sharks.
 
Coil bites?! That can't be good for the coil!
 
Last year I also had a small shark go after my coil. It was very, very persistent. I thought it was attracted to the coil by the radio frequencies.....

The shark was small enough (1 1/2 foot or so) that I wasn't threatened by it, but it sure made me think about sharks (bigger ones!) being attracted to the coil.
 
Ron, can you post some pics? Is love to see what the coil looks like after a couple shark bites!

Safe and happy hunting,
Aaron
 
Had one about 3 1/2 foot go by last week. Always wondered about the attraction to the electrical pulse signal.
 
ron lord said:
I have had 2 coil bites this week.In the past 5 years I've been chased out of the water twice by Bull sharks and Tiger sharks.

OK Ron.... You can't say something like that and not tell us more. Coil bites and Tiger sharks??? Tell us the story...
 
I see them most every time I go out ... Most people are under the misconception that you're not at risk during the day. Sharks feed all day. Prime feeding times are dusk, morning and evening. You're just as much at risk of an attack during the day, as you are at night. Here on the gulf coast, we're the shark bite capital of the world.

As a retired fishing charter captain, we've caught sharks up to 16 foot - all within site of the beach.

Bulls, Tigers, Hammers, Reef, Nurse, Lemons, to name but just a few.

Carry a dagger and a bigger than thou attitude -- you'll be fine. :tongue3:
 
While in Floirida, East coast I have had them Bump into me more then a few times.

Never seen them coming just going away.

Some 4-6ft.

Wizzing in the Water is like ringing the dinner bell! ;D
 
Lately the only sharks i have been seeing are those dang sand sharks (Tesoro) :tongue3:They are every were , :laughing7:
 
Every time I'm alone in the water at 6am.. I feel like a shark is going to pick me off.. Doesn't help that the water is murky and you can't see the bottom in 2 feet of water..

I spray painted my water scoop black, just in case..

Holding a shiny object while in the water, is a bad idea.
 
Sharks have been reported dragging hunters with detectors off of the beaches of Florida........ For your own safety if your a non-resident it is best to not bring your detector to Florida's beaches on vacation..... ;D

800px-jaws_great_white_shark_south_.jpg
 
Treasure_Hunter said:
Sharks have been reported dragging hunters with detectors off of the beaches of Florida........ For your own safety if your a non-resident it is best to not bring your detector to Florida's beaches on vacation..... ;D

800px-jaws_great_white_shark_south_.jpg
And if you look closely at the water over his right (our left) shoulder you'll make out the face of the detectorist he just had for lunch.
 
I once saw a small seal Md'ing on the sand near some rocks. Yep, Jaws launched out and took it in one bite ( the coil) the seal just looked p'ed off and remarked that it must have been the discrimination.... so on outings don't dress like a seal or clap your hands together at finds ...you'll be ok.
On a serious note...I surf all the time and sharks are as prevalent as fish here so If they really had a taste for us we'd know it by now.....and don't believe the myth of Dolphins scaring them off...sharks often cruise under messy pods that feast on schools of fish. We mostly call them Noah's or Men in the grey suits.....
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom