Anyone ever hire a researcher or archivist?

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Curious what one could expect to pay someone to go to their state archives and go through boxes of old records for a particular document.

Our state archives is open 3 days a week and half a day Saturday. Wednesday, Thrs. and Fri. open regular hours but I work and impossible for me to drive there and get a peek into a box before they'd be closing on a Saturday.

They have stuff in boxes, folders and microfilm and have pretty strict rules when putting in a call slip once every 45 minutes, no flash photography, no pens in the room, etc, so on and so forth.

If I took vacation time, I'd probably spend most of the time there rather clueless as to where to start...
One measly document....that's all I'm looking for...just to confirm a treasure lead that's documented but I just need a tad bit more info that I know is there. May not be a big treasure or even worth looking for...or I could just go to the site and spend my money on equipment that's not real expensive but costly enough that I would like to know if hiring someone to find that one stupid document would be cheaper.

Thanks,
Al

mfitzy111

Mar 6, 2011
NEPA
Detector(s) used
garrett ACE350 (traded off!), minelab E-TRAC, AT-Pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
best to take a sick or vacation day and ask someone in the office for help locating what your looking for, bring doughnuts and be friendly. bureaucrats seem to love doughnuts and coffee for some reason. Go Dunkin! if your treasure hunting, and your lead is in the records can't you file a freedom of information request?

I'm not from your end of the state- so I don't know if you've already checked here.

http://www.alleghenycounty.us/index.aspx

ok, on their own site they have this link to 'find a record'. I don't know if it's free, but it's mon-fri normal hours. so it's something you might want to check in to- getting the bureaucrats working for you. (if that's even possible. :) )

http://www.alleghenycounty.us/courtrec/index.aspx

also I don't know how computer savvy you are but PA in some eastern counties offer online area ownership maps/ and aerial photographs from as early as the 30s.
(it won't help you find your document, but if you know the location area it will show you what used to be there. some of the photos aren't the best quality. )

aerial photos.
http://www.pennpilot.psu.edu/

it depends on what document your trying to locate- as far as searching goes. recorder of deeds? who owned what property?

another thing I found was using BING maps - I could use the over head best view and see good details searching for older baseball fields, and good places to hunt. not sure if it helps-

HH.

OP
OP
deepskyal

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The records are available to view but they are in the state archives...in Harrisburg...and date back to the 1800's. They are contracts and contractor claims with the state for materials, expenses, etc.

On the state archives website, all they list is generic information on what may be where in their archives, they don't have it digitized and online. They have record numbers listed but you have to view every record to get an idea the information may be in a box or folder or even on microfilm, which microfilm isn't likely for what I'm looking for.

I understand their caution towards people accessing the records, given the age of the documents.

I was at a local archives where the rules are similar and found myself sitting and waiting for someone to come get my call slip so I could browse through it and discover what I was looking for and then waiting again for a second call slip order. The archivist wasn't a very friendly person, maybe having a bad day.

Once I figure my travel time and fuel, hotel expense, copying fees,(if they determine the document can safely be copied)...maybe I could just go hunting blind and hope what I'm looking for is what I think it is and spend the money on a piece of equipment I'll maybe use twice.

Al

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Al, lay it on the line. What are you looking for? Maybe someone here can help you. Maybe someone can tell you you are barking up the wrong tree or you are heading in the right direction.
I researched a cache in Pa. that a guy had been looking for for 6 years. I picked up on some of his research and some from others. I think there were about 3 others looking for this. I made 2 trips up to Dents Run for on site inspections and what do you think I found? The story was an old legend that had been reborn to sell a book and attract tourest to the area. There were marked trailes to the "treasure" site and maps to guide you. I am presently working with another cache hunter on a cache in MD. It is all verified. Every one in the story lived and died in the records. The event shows in the papers. the cache location is known, but it is indicated in context of past records which means searching to tie it to a modern location and hope it is not developed. Frank
PS, Lets help each other, there is plenty out there.

S

stefen

Theres always the opportunity to retain the services of a starving student for about $10 per hour plus expenses...

Many are research oriented, especially those in history programs.

Simply place a call sheet on a University bulletin board...

OP
OP
deepskyal

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not a well known treasure Frankn. I like old history books and came across an article about a payroll being swept away during a flood on a construction site during the building of the canals here. I followed it up and found a related newspaper article of the event.
This is not some mainline treasure tale so I'm intrigued by the possibility that there may be something to be found.

In Harrisburg, they have all the contractor claims for materials, payroll, damages, etc. What I want to find is what claim did this contractor submit for materials and payroll, particularly if he requested a secondary payroll because of the flood.

I have several pages of item numbers with a generic description of what may be in what box. The detailed reports are in the boxes or manila folders or possibly microfilm but that was used more widely for more popular genealogical research. So...I'm guessing what I'm looking for is buried in a file box somewhere.

The big question looming is..."Was the payroll recovered somehow"? Was it gold coin or notes, was it in a strong box or just a burlap sack? Paper notes would be a waste of time and if it was gold coin and it wasn't in some sort of strong box...that probably would be a waste of time too.

I've been to the site, found part of the old canal and some building foundation. I don't think it'd be a huge effort to recover but I also don't want to just go on some wild goose chase if it was recovered days after it was lost.

Stephen.....that's a great idea...thanks!

Al

kayden

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Ace250,AT Pro & Garrett Propointer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
deepskyal said:
The records are available to view but they are in the state archives...in Harrisburg...and date back to the 1800's. They are contracts and contractor claims with the state for materials, expenses, etc.

On the state archives website, all they list is generic information on what may be where in their archives, they don't have it digitized and online. They have record numbers listed but you have to view every record to get an idea the information may be in a box or folder or even on microfilm, which microfilm isn't likely for what I'm looking for.

I understand their caution towards people accessing the records, given the age of the documents.

I was at a local archives where the rules are similar and found myself sitting and waiting for someone to come get my call slip so I could browse through it and discover what I was looking for and then waiting again for a second call slip order. The archivist wasn't a very friendly person, maybe having a bad day.

Once I figure my travel time and fuel, hotel expense, copying fees,(if they determine the document can safely be copied)...maybe I could just go hunting blind and hope what I'm looking for is what I think it is and spend the money on a piece of equipment I'll maybe use twice.

Al
Al just buy the equipment then after you find what you are looking for head a little further north "DentsRun" & also "Austin flood area"...I know you want to go back up there!....GL hunting Sir!

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Kayden, Dents Run Is pure fantasy. Been there done that. Have the equipment, spent the time. Frank

S

stefen

Don't want to rain on your parade...looking for a phantom treasure swept away by flood waters 150 to 200 years ago can be likened to a snipe hunt...

Fortunately, you have the fortitude to at least do the research to see whether or not the money was recovered.

What if you cannot find records to state that the money was ever recovered...what then?

Do you continue to dig further into the archives? Do you redirect the research into, let's say, old newspaper records? Do you dig into municipal records?

I would think that a plan of action is needed so you recognize when to pull the pin.

Best of luck and keep us informed as to the outcome.

If you think I'm off-base, let me know and I will remove my comments. :coffee2:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread