Anyone familiar with the Fisher 1280x????

T

The ringmaster

First of, I know this is the beach hunting section and I do plan to use this detector in the water but tonight I took it out for the first time since buying it to a couple woodchip tot lots to try to get familiar with it.It had alot of chatter.I am use to using the White's Eagle Spectrum with the nice display and the vco feature.This detector just drove me crazy with the chatter and not knowing how deep targets were or even a clue as to what I am digging.I know only time using it will make me better, but does anyone who is skilled with this machine have any tips???I plan to use it both on land and in shallow creeks and rivers here where I live,so I don't want to dig to much trash in the water like nails and screws.Had alot of them tonight in the playgrounds.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since the 1280 is a diving or water detector it doesn't have pinpoint which is necessary in grass but not in the water where your using a scoop. It is made heavy because it needs to be able to be submerged to good depths, 250 feet, deeper than I dive for sure.

The chatter could be caused by any number of things. You didn't say where you purchased the detector or even if it was used. Electrical interference, to much sensitivity, or black sand in the soil or under the coil cover if it has one.

The best way to get a feel for what you are digging is to find a clean piece of ground and lay different targets down and use different disc. settings. Set sens. at only half way and for water hunting you want to use as little as disc. as possible. I like a setting where I only hear a double blip on a hairpin. Everything else is a keeper.

dahut

Nov 6, 2004
Lee's Tavern Road
Detector(s) used
21 years behind a coil

Fisher F70
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Save the 1280 for the water, where it excels.

This is not to say that the 1280 cannot be used on land, and there is much to be said for the old adage:
"Beware the man who owns but one gun." Chances are, he's VERY good with it.

But there is another adage that fits here, too:
"Use the right tool for the job." If you use a land detector even a few times, youll see what I mean.

Having used and liked most of the Fisher "X" series detectors, I recommend you find a nice 1236-X2 for the land. The 1236 acts and sounds very much like the 1280X and everything the Buzzard King said above applies to it, as well. For a little added goodness, it has some extra features that make it very useful.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread