✅ SOLVED Anyone familiar with these symbols?

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 800, Minelab SE PRO, Minelab X-Terra Pro & 14 other machines
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are like nothing I've ever seen. I looked through some variations of zodiac signs and couldn't find any matches.

Thanks! ash-1.jpg

OP
OP
Minrelica

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What's the backstory on this item?
Don...
Don,

I picked it up at a thrift store somewhere along the line over the past 30 years. That is all I know unfortunately.

Upvote 0

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you have a vintage ashtray (probably c 1960) modelled in the style of ‘Nambu Tekki’… a traditional type of Japanese ironware that originated in the Edo period (1803-1868).

There was a modern revival of this type of ware (both in iron and other materials), including ashtrays like this. They either have readable Japanese characters or unreadable hieroglyph-like ones that presumably mean something to Japanese people. I don’t know what they are… artist monograms perhaps? Here’s a couple of typical examples:

Ashtray1.jpg Ashtray2.jpg

Upvote 0

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ancient BaBaRanian symbols for: "The Surgeon Mufti has reported that smoking can be hazardous to your health."

Upvote 0

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just a little more. An extremely similar ashtray (said to be mid-20th Century) was offered on eBay a while ago but with no light shed on the symbols.

Ashtray3.jpg

My understanding is that they are highly stylised calligraphy symbols representing a ‘signature’ that even a Japanese person would have trouble reading. They might be meaningful in a modern sense, or copied from something earlier. This kind of ware was also used for incense burning in earlier times.

Just to remove any lingering doubt that the modern ones at least are ashtrays, here’s one (although with readable Japanese characters) that has two compartments intended to hold a lighter and a pack of cigarettes.

Ashtray4.jpg

I also noted that these things were sometimes advertising/promotional items, with one reported as having symbols that read “Hitachi Pumps” for example.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Minrelica

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you have a vintage ashtray (probably c 1960) modelled in the style of ‘Nambu Tekki’… a traditional type of Japanese ironware that originated in the Edo period (1803-1868).

There was a modern revival of this type of ware (both in iron and other materials), including ashtrays like this. They either have readable Japanese characters or unreadable hieroglyph-like ones that presumably mean something to Japanese people. I don’t know what they are… artist monograms perhaps? Here’s a couple of typical examples:

View attachment 1853957 View attachment 1853958

Just a little more. An extremely similar ashtray (said to be mid-20th Century) was offered on eBay a while ago but with no light shed on the symbols.

View attachment 1854102

My understanding is that they are highly stylised calligraphy symbols representing a ‘signature’ that even a Japanese person would have trouble reading. They might be meaningful in a modern sense, or copied from something earlier. This kind of ware was also used for incense burning in earlier times.

Just to remove any lingering doubt that the modern ones at least are ashtrays, here’s one (although with readable Japanese characters) that has two compartments intended to hold a lighter and a pack of cigarettes.

View attachment 1854103

I also noted that these things were sometimes advertising/promotional items, with one reported as having symbols that read “Hitachi Pumps” for example.

Fantastic ID! Thanks a bunch for your posts.. much appreciated. - Cheers

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Minrelica

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used