mindcrime1988

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2011
Southeast Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, XP Deus II, DetectorPro Headhunter, BlissTool & Pulsedive
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have read up on the Bearmouth ghost town from another source but it was not as detailed as the reading in the link. I have not heard of the other two areas mentioned but I am fairly new to the state. However, I am still finding any books to read about lost treasures, ghost towns and mining camps.

I appreciate reading about these areas though, thanks a bunch! :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
Hillbilly Joe

Hillbilly Joe

Feb 5, 2014
MT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No problem, I am looking for a person to research with via internet. I make it over to the west a few times a year.

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have read about these and many others. I need to go to bed but I will help you out with some more if you wish.

Shunkaha

Apr 2, 2013
Helena, Montana
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705 Gold Pack, Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm in Montana too and have found a few stories about old miners that have passed away and nobody knows whatever happened to their loot. I'd be interested in helping but I've never seen the stories from your link before. The stories I found about 6 months ago, I can no longer access the links. I know of many old prospectors cabins in the National Forests around Helena and I love detecting in the forest but it's very painful due to all the 22 shells that are everywhere.

OP
OP
Hillbilly Joe

Hillbilly Joe

Feb 5, 2014
MT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have no doubt that treasure is buried in all parts of this state. I have to get new teeth before I get my MD, so I may have to wait to get out with one. But I have been doing a lot of research, and have found some interesting possibilities here on the east side. I am still learning a lot about the West side and some of those places, but I do get there several times a year, and this summer will be no exception, so maybe we should plan a get together?

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The lost Doris mine is in some of the steepest brushiest godforsaken place you could find. I believe it was 1985 a hanglider went off Columbia Mt and was swept over into Doris. I lost track of the story but after two years they still had not found him.

OP
OP
Hillbilly Joe

Hillbilly Joe

Feb 5, 2014
MT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like it wouldnt be easy to get to then for sure, thanks!

Shunkaha

Apr 2, 2013
Helena, Montana
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705 Gold Pack, Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
I have no doubt that treasure is buried in all parts of this state. I have to get new teeth before I get my MD, so I may have to wait to get out with one. But I have been doing a lot of research, and have found some interesting possibilities here on the east side. I am still learning a lot about the West side and some of those places, but I do get there several times a year, and this summer will be no exception, so maybe we should plan a get together?

Sounds good to me. I'm in the Helena area and am always looking for someone to detect with. Shoot me a pm when you have some idea of what dates you might make it over here.

bill crane

Greenie
Feb 26, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some internet sites have treasure stories and of course the most famous ones are written about in countless books. Still there are lost treasure stories yet to be discovered. They often are hidden in old local history books.

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
The lost Doris mine is in some of the steepest brushiest godforsaken place you could find. I believe it was 1985 a hanglider went off Columbia Mt and was swept over into Doris. I lost track of the story but after two years they still had not found him.

Are you referring to Doris Creek? Up by Kalispell?

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
The link at the start of this post didn't work for me. Was curious what it held, was it the caches found in the 60's around bearmouth/beartown? I did find an old article about a miners gold not being found (bearmouth) region. Years later it was found in a safe deposit box they didn't know he had.

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Also called the lost Willow Creek mine by some, Doris Creek empties into hungry horse resorvior. Doris Creek site first cedited by Thomas Penfield.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions