ANYONE HERE EVER SEARCH FOR THE LOST BOWIE OR LOST BEN SUBLETT MINE??

TheHarleyMan2

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Never Know I May Live Next To You!
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cooltone23 said:
Shaw said:
TheHarleyMan2 said:
hey Shaw I live just North of Austin. I too have been researching Ben Sublet and his gold. I hope to make it there sometime this summer before it gets hot or sometime in September/October. If you want to come along you can. The average distance that a pack team pulling a wagon in 1880's is about 15 to 20 miles a day due to the terrain. I have read that he would be gone for several days to weeks. I think the location may be closer than people realize with the average distance he rode. Now he could have some of his gold from the mine stashed closer to Odessa to shorten some of his trips. If you look at google earth close enough to the ground you can actually see the stage coach trails going to the stage stop. Google earth is pretty cool, you can look at all the roads from Mexico and all over Texas that has no modern roads. If you look west from Odessa, you can actually see the trails heading westward by some of the south side of the main highways.

I am leaving for Fort Dix, NJ this Friday and will be gone until the first week in March. I have some motorcycle rallies to work this year and in between most of them I have plenty of time, but I am going to plan sometime this year to get out that way. If you like you are welcome to come along as I said. I will most likely stay 2-3 days, (roughing it), scouring over the area and trying to get a good picture of where I would go if I was Ole Ben.

Thanks for the info and I agree on the mid way stashing. It would have been a great thing to do logically.

I am in for a camping, hiking trip sometime then. Keep me posted. I need to dust off the old camping gear.

Jason

Guys, keep me in mind too. Wouldn't mind doing a bit of camping and hiking. Doc says I need the excersise ;D

Will do COOLTONE, I have to see what my scheduling would be this year as to what time my fiance and I are going to go. I certainly don't need to go in the middle of summer. I am sure it will be drasticlly hot for anyone. I myself is used to the heat and being in Afghanistan and Iraq it makes it a bit easier. The summer heat is not too bad regadless of the conditions as long as you are aware of HOW TO SURVIVE, just means, loose clothing and lots of food, water and preparedness as well! Being my fiance has not had experiences in the desert heat I have to go when it will be a little more comfortable for everyone. I would go by myself, but safety is ALWAYS good in numbers in any environment!

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did Ben get his wish about being buried where he wanted to? If so I would locate the grave and the start searching and expanding the circle out from there. It possible he tells you exactly where the mine is in that quote.

cooltone23

Oct 24, 2007
Humble, Tx
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter IV
I hear you. I lived all my life in the rio grande valley. Summers there got to 110's F. It was always nice, lol! Hottest football practice was 117 Deg F. We got two water breaks that day. I may not be free untill the fall time though. It should be a bit cooler by then, at least in the mountain regions.

OP
OP
J

Joe(TX)

Aug 21, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Old School
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
txkickergirl said:
Did Ben get his wish about being buried where he wanted to? If so I would locate the grave and the start searching and expanding the circle out from there. It possible he tells you exactly where the mine is in that quote.
.............................................No .............Ben did not get his wish...............He is buried in Odessa..................150 miles away from the Guadalupe Mountains...............Joe

OP
OP
J

Joe(TX)

Aug 21, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Old School
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
cooltone23 said:
Shaw said:
TheHarleyMan2 said:
hey Shaw I live just North of Austin. I too have been researching Ben Sublet and his gold. I hope to make it there sometime this summer before it gets hot or sometime in September/October. If you want to come along you can. The average distance that a pack team pulling a wagon in 1880's is about 15 to 20 miles a day due to the terrain. I have read that he would be gone for several days to weeks. I think the location may be closer than people realize with the average distance he rode. Now he could have some of his gold from the mine stashed closer to Odessa to shorten some of his trips. If you look at google earth close enough to the ground you can actually see the stage coach trails going to the stage stop. Google earth is pretty cool, you can look at all the roads from Mexico and all over Texas that has no modern roads. If you look west from Odessa, you can actually see the trails heading westward by some of the south side of the main highways.

I am leaving for Fort Dix, NJ this Friday and will be gone until the first week in March. I have some motorcycle rallies to work this year and in between most of them I have plenty of time, but I am going to plan sometime this year to get out that way. If you like you are welcome to come along as I said. I will most likely stay 2-3 days, (roughing it), scouring over the area and trying to get a good picture of where I would go if I was Ole Ben.

Thanks for the info and I agree on the mid way stashing. It would have been a great thing to do logically.

I am in for a camping, hiking trip sometime then. Keep me posted. I need to dust off the old camping gear.

Jason

Guys, keep me in mind too. Wouldn't mind doing a bit of camping and hiking. Doc says I need the excersise ;D
...............................................FUNNY..........................STRANGE...................THAT I STARTED THIS THREAD.....................AND NO ONE IS INCLUDING ME IN THE PLANS FOR THE TRIP............................................I already said that I am planning a trip in the Spring or Summer.............................GUESS THAT I'M GOING BY MYSELF...................LOL.............JOE

Shaw

Mar 16, 2008
Houston Area
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Vibraprobe 570, My Melon
Joe(TX) said:
cooltone23 said:
Shaw said:
TheHarleyMan2 said:

Jason

...............................................FUNNY..........................STRANGE...................THAT I STARTED THIS THREAD.....................AND NO ONE IS INCLUDING ME IN THE PLANS FOR THE TRIP............................................I already said that I am planning a trip in the Spring or Summer.............................GUESS THAT I'M GOING BY MYSELF...................LOL.............JOE

I thought you were planning it for us! ;D :wink:

OP
OP
J

Joe(TX)

Aug 21, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Old School
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
............EXCUSE ME FOR being A BIT MORBIC.......................I just got back from the Rio Grand Valley where I had to bury my Mother-In-law of over 30 years................Sorry if I seem to be a bit upset................I have been/am planning a trip too................may not be able to go in the time frame of most of the other posters..................but I do plan on going......................even if it is in the heat of the summer time unless I wait for the fall or next winter....................SOUNDS LIKE MANY TRIPS MAY BE INVOLVED TO ACTUALLY FIND THE MINE.......................this is a very beautiful and majestic area >>>>>>>>>>>.................I just want to go at least once...............maybe twice and just inhail the area....................the true treasure will be the trip and the experience.................if any GOLD............is found that is just GRAVY..............................JOE

OP
OP
J

Joe(TX)

Aug 21, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Old School
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
...............ONE MORE TIP.....................One of my books say that the mine is within sight of El Capitan........................................THAT IS A GOOD PLACE TO START......................JOE

cooltone23

Oct 24, 2007
Humble, Tx
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter IV
Joe, sorry to hear about your mother in law. prayers are with you and your family. I'm from the Rio Grande Valley. If you got a trip planned as well, drop a line. I may be free in the summer and wouldnt mind going. Like you said, it make take several trips to come up even with a decent lead. All of us here may be able to organize a hiking trip :wink: to the Guadalupe. A joint venture perhaps. ;D

Shaw

Mar 16, 2008
Houston Area
Detector(s) used
cooltone23 said:
I'm packed :thumbsup:

Lets go!

Someone has had to do some aerial radar or searching for this place. Its been a treasure hunt for 100 years plus. I really wonder how many people have invested some real money and time into locating the mine.

redwolf74

Jan 6, 2009
Bloomngton, MN
Detector(s) used
Coinmaster 6000D
Just got back from the Pecos. From all the research I have done the mine is likely not in the NP area. It is most likely in one of the draws or creeks running down from the mountains into the Pecos River. The Owl Hills area has always looked pretty good to me. Lot of very proud land owners round there. Not to interested in letting any one on their property. I think Shaw has the right idea of going aerial.

redwolf

Shaw

Mar 16, 2008
Houston Area
Detector(s) used
redwolf74 said:
Just got back from the Pecos. From all the research I have done the mine is likely not in the NP area. It is most likely in one of the draws or creeks running down from the mountains into the Pecos River. The Owl Hills area has always looked pretty good to me. Lot of very proud land owners round there. Not to interested in letting any one on their property. I think Shaw has the right idea of going aerial.

redwolf
[/quote

I have a few contacts in aerial, I am seriously thinking about a few fly overs in the area. Just checking now with regs and such. This may be something for a group of us to delve into in the Spring or early Summer.

Also have a background in covert operations, if the owners don't want to cooperate. (I kid) or do I.

There is much open territory. It could be a collaboration of a hunt here. (field, research, interviews, leads.)

Including JOETX!

cooltone23

Oct 24, 2007
Humble, Tx
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter IV
;D

Attachments

• made_at_www_txt2pic_com.jpg
    made_at_www_txt2pic_com.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 940

Shaw

Mar 16, 2008
Houston Area
Detector(s) used
cooltone23 said:

Cmon cooltone, You should have at least sold that to someone before posting it up here! Now everyone will know where it is... :wink: :wink: ;D

redwolf74

Jan 6, 2009
Bloomngton, MN
Detector(s) used
Coinmaster 6000D
According to the Texas Speleological Society, Culberson County has roughly 573 recorded caves and possible caves. That's quite a pile of hay to search through. Then you have to consider the possibility of Reeves County and or even Eddy County NM.

:icon_scratch:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread