Anyone Here with UVA Flourescent Shark Teeth?

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
Many fossils (from the Badlands, Aurora, Bone Valley, etc.) will flouresce under ultra-violet light. Here's one that I photographed using normal and UVA light.
carcharocles chubutensis UVA.jpg

Attachments

• carcharocles chubutensis UVA.jpg
    carcharocles chubutensis UVA.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 403
OP
OP
Harry Pristis

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
LanceHall said:
I've tried my collection with a store bought flourescant "black light" but no luck. Are there different types of "black light"??

"Black light" and "UVA" are equivalent, pretty much, according to Wikipedia:

A black light, or Wood's light, is a lamp that emits long wave UV radiation and very little visible light. Commonly these are referred to as simply a "UV light". Fluorescent black lights are typically made in the same fashion as normal fluorescent lights except that only one phosphor is used and the normally clear glass envelope of the bulb may be replaced by a deep-bluish-purple glass called Wood's glass, a nickel-oxide–doped glass, which blocks almost all visible light above 400 nanometers. The color of such lamps is often referred to in the trade as "blacklight blue" or "BLB." This is to distinguish these lamps from "bug zapper" blacklight ("BL") lamps that don't have the blue Wood's glass. The phosphor typically used for a near 368 to 371 nanometer emission peak is either europium-doped strontium fluoroborate (SrB4O7F:Eu2+) or europium-doped strontium borate (SrB4O7:Eu2+) while the phosphor used to produce a peak around 350 to 353 nanometers is lead-doped barium silicate (BaSi2O5:Pb+). "Blacklight Blue" lamps peak at 365 nm.

While "black lights" do produce light in the UV range, their spectrum is confined to the longwave UVA region. Unlike UVB and UVC, which are responsible for the direct DNA damage that leads to skin cancer, black light is limited to lower energy, longer waves and does not cause sunburn. However, UVA is capable of causing damage to collagen fibers and destroying vitamin A in skin.

The UVA produced by the light-emitting diodes in my flashlight is at a frequency of 395 nm. This is the new technology that doesn't use a tiny flourescent blue-glass tube. Instead, it uses 51 LEDs that look like . . . well . . . like most other LEDs in a flashlight.
[/size][/font]

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread