What's new

Anyone in/near Brazos county Texas?

BCSMark

Full Member
Joined
Jun 12, 2025
Messages
121
Reaction score
473
Golden Thread
0
Location
Brazos county, Texas
Hi guys, new here. My name is mark, I’m 22years old and live in Brazos county Texas. I’ve been actively digging since I was about 10, previously with a heavy focus on antique bottles, and metal detecting. I spent a decent bit of time surface hunting for Indian artifacts at my grandparents place in Cibolo Texas area when I was younger.
I’m looking to get back into this side of things, and would love to be able to spend some time with anyone in my area who is more knowledgeable than me. I’m plenty green but eager to learn!
Also have about 700 acres in Livingston Texas that I’m hopeful to have a couple camps on, and looking to start digging soon.
So, anyone close by?
IMG_6768.webp
 
Upvote 0
Here is all of the debitage from that hole, and the artifacts that have been found. So crude out of the petrified wood. The scraper is out of a better material though, some kind of chert.
IMG_1627.webp
IMG_1628.webp


IMG_1604.webp
 
Definitely some great looking finds. I am surprised how far down you have to dig for it, would have never thought it can go so far into the ground. I am in Galveston county and the soil here is solid clay and is very difficult to dig in.
 
Well, it’s not that I necessarily have to go that deep. Below the first 4 inches of top soil is where the artifacts begin. But there is a layer of scattered flint, charcoal, burnt rock, and artifacts all the way down to the clay layer which is about three feet down. I dug into the clay this time and it does seem to stop right on the clay. But needless to say, I don’t want to miss anything and so I am removing that entire layer of dirt.
 
Hi guys, new here. My name is mark, I’m 22years old and live in Brazos county Texas. I’ve been actively digging since I was about 10, previously with a heavy focus on antique bottles, and metal detecting. I spent a decent bit of time surface hunting for Indian artifacts at my grandparents place in Cibolo Texas area when I was younger.
I’m looking to get back into this side of things, and would love to be able to spend some time with anyone in my area who is more knowledgeable than me. I’m plenty green but eager to learn!
Also have about 700 acres in Livingston Texas that I’m hopeful to have a couple camps on, and looking to start digging soon.
So, anyone close by?
Livingston has a lot pf places. Anywhere near streams or creeks can be a hotspot. I hunted Livingston and Polk County years ago when I had property up there.
There are a lot of pay digs around the hill country as well. Reach out to me and maybe we can meet up somewhere.
Also the Coastal Bend Archaeological Society (COBALT has a great dig going on if you want to learn. They are affiliated with the Coastal Bend Museum in Victoria which has a fantastic prehistoric exhibit. Great people to hang with.
Good luck.
 
Looks like a promising area. A Texas guy posted here awhile back that would dig with a skidsteer & dump everthing into a power sifter. To say he had an impressive collection would be a understatement.
what happened to him anyway?
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom