Anyone know name for this

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To me this looks like a fairly typical Renaissance-style 'Flanders Family' decorative wall panel, sometimes referred to as a 'Hearth Scene' because the figures are often arranged in front of a kitchen fireplace (as seems to be the case here). The other common depictions may be borrowed from paintings by Rembrandt and other 'Old Masters'. Very frequently, the family is gathered around a central figure playing a musical instrument and I believe the lady at the centre here is playing a zither.

Repousse work/bas-relief, usually on an oak panel with the metal being either copper, brass, or pewter (sometimes with a silver wash). I believe this one is probably pewter.

Dating is really difficult, unless there is a signature (usually on the front or one of the edges for older pieces and prestigious makers) or an information label (on the back, for more modern and mass-produced items). It could be anywhere from the late 1800s onwards but there was a surge of popularity in the 1950s and that would be my guess here. Belgium or the 'Low Countries' would be a good bet for the origin, but many were made in Britain too.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions