heres a 1786 connecticut copper i found a while back but i am unsure of the variety type
can anyone help me out (Don, I.P.) it would be much appreciated ,Dan
I am working on it, a tough one, since the group it belongs to have very minor differences in the varieties, I think I have it but doulbe checking my attribution. Some critical details are not exactly showing or clear enough say for certain yet, but will have an 90% sure answer shortly.
Don
Update: For now I say UNCLE, I just cannot say 100% sure which one it is, I have it narrowed down to a few varieties, the differences seem very minute and the clarity of those minute details cannot be seen for sure on your coin. I may have to get help on this one. I know it is a Miller 5. something and have narrowed that down further but that is about it......It most likely is not one of the common ones, but most Conn copper varieties are not common, so don't get too excited over that comment. Hopefully I or someone else will get the exact attribution.
The area where I need to see better are the end of AUCTORI, betweent the I and the top of the bust area, also the area around E on the Reverse side and the area just after B in LIB on Reverse side.
Dan, your new photos were great, I was wrong on my initial guesstimates, it is only a Scarce variety, R3, I am 100% certain it is a 1786 Miller 5.5-M variety. That cleaned up great, good pics and proper cleaning making identifying the Conn coppers a tad easier, they are very hard sometimes to distinguish one variety from another due to sometimes just one small difference on the entire coin.
I do need a good book on CT coppers for IDing these varieties, I do it from web searches but mostly from my C4 auction catalog photos, then compare all photos I can with the finder's coin. I had to change my mind on your coin once the clarity of the branch being held, that matched only the 5-M reverse and NOT the other ones I was thinking it could be..........
Don
Note: I just had my attribution verified as being correct by one of the most knowledgeable Conn collectors.
thanks Don i was torn between a few varieties myself one being the 5.5-m just needed a second opinon . its very appreciated . hey does it look like die breaks or cracks in the obverse by the O in connec and on the reverse at the 10 o'clock position going across to the 5 o'clock