Anyone know what these may be?? They are from the Civil War...

Ronin9868

Jan 2, 2007
South Eastern VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, Minelab SE, 12x15 and the 10x12 Butterfly Excel, 12.5 Excel,18.5 Excel

Attachments

• 040107whatsit.jpg
    040107whatsit.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 709
  • 040107whatsit.jpg
    040107whatsit.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 701
  • Brass040107.jpg
    Brass040107.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 669

beavis

Mar 11, 2007
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Theitems in the bottom photo are fasteners for clothing. No clue on top photo. ??? ???

Upvote 0

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
I'm not sure about the top photo... I was thinking paintbrush tip with wood on one end and bristles on the other but I don't think the bristles would have survived.

Can you tell what the materials are at each end?

The second photo has been answered.

Attachments

• studs.JPG
    studs.JPG
    11.4 KB · Views: 685
Upvote 0

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The top thing could be either one of these listed by Charlie or Jim.Is it solid? Is there any wood in it? Is it heavy for it's size? At first glance I thought it was an old pencil lead holder with an eraser at the one end. :-\

Upvote 0
D

dugupfinds

Charlie P. (NY) said:
Part of a nib pen (ink pen) and leather rivets?

Yeap often used as horse harness leather rivets. Difficult to date as they haven't changed in a couple of hundred years.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Ronin9868

Ronin9868

Jan 2, 2007
South Eastern VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, Minelab SE, 12x15 and the 10x12 Butterfly Excel, 12.5 Excel,18.5 Excel
diggummup said:
The top thing could be either one of these listed by Charlie or Jim.Is it solid? Is there any wood in it? Is it heavy for it's size? At first glance I thought it was an old pencil lead holder with an eraser at the one end. :-\

Im thinking this may a tough one to ID. Basically, it is tube like with something that runs thru the middle. There are no numbers just some rings around various places. Im stumped. ???

Upvote 0

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What's the diameter of the round oblong obect? Reminds me of part of a ramrod if made of brass? And Ronin 9868 everytime I see your avatar I want to say something like, "I wave my naughty parts in your genereal directon"! I wonder how many recognized the Frenchman from "In Search of the Holy Grail"? Monty

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Ronin9868

Ronin9868

Jan 2, 2007
South Eastern VA
Detector(s) used
Monty said:
What's the diameter of the round oblong obect? Reminds me of part of a ramrod if made of brass? And Ronin 9868 everytime I see your avatar I want to say something like, "I wave my naughty parts in your genereal directon"! I wonder how many recognized the Frenchman from "In Search of the Holy Grail"? Monty

Monty, I fart in you general direction, no go away before I taunt you a second time-ma.

Got to love Monty Python!!

The diameter is about the same as a pencil. You may be on the right track as far as your guess. I may have to try and take some better pictures to help you guys out. Thanks for looking.

Ronin

Upvote 0
D

dugupfinds

Ronin9868 said:
Monty said:

Monty, I fart in you general direction, no go away before I taunt you a second time-ma.

Got to love Monty Python!!

The diameter is about the same as a pencil. You may be on the right track as far as your guess. I may have to try and take some better pictures to help you guys out. Thanks for looking.

Ronin

Yeap I realised, I love Monty (I would do as a Brit). Come back its just a mear flesh wound.

Upvote 0

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think the first pic is part of a "dip pen", as previously stated.

ref.%20901%20dip.pen_small.jpg

Now go away you silly English Kaniggit!

DCMatt

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Ronin9868

Ronin9868

Jan 2, 2007
South Eastern VA
Detector(s) used
DCMatt said:
I think the first pic is part of a "dip pen", as previously stated.

ref.%20901%20dip.pen_small.jpg

Now go away you silly English Kaniggit!

DCMatt

I don't want to go on the cart, I feel happy... I feel happy....

DCMATT, that's it. Thanks for helping out.

Ronin

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Ronin9868

Ronin9868

Jan 2, 2007
South Eastern VA
Detector(s) used
Montana Jim said:
I'm not sure about the top photo... I was thinking paintbrush tip with wood on one end and bristles on the other but I don't think the bristles would have survived.

Can you tell what the materials are at each end?

The second photo has been answered.

Thanks for the help Montana Jim. I see your in for some bad weather today... :-\

Upvote 0

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
Ronin9868 said:
Thanks for the help Montana Jim. I see your in for some bad weather today... :-\

Are you taunting me a second time? :D

Yea... icy and snow... it'll clear up soon, it's been the mildest winter of my life so I'm not complaing at all!

HH

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Ronin9868

Ronin9868

Jan 2, 2007
South Eastern VA
Detector(s) used
Montana Jim said:
Ronin9868 said:

Are you taunting me a second time? :D

Yea... icy and snow... it'll clear up soon, it's been the mildest winter of my life so I'm not complaing at all!

HH

;D ;D ;D

Upvote 0

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mild winter? Oh, my God, it's that global warming thing! Quick , get the Holy Handgrenade of Antioch! And a shrubbery while you are at it. Neat! M :o nty

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread