Anyone know what type of rock is this?

mummzjoko

Sep 30, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, my dad has dig with excavator this stone 10 years ago in Italy, it was for a long time in house and i decide to find answer what really this stone is, i was searching like 10 hours but cant find anything similar? anyone have an idea what this is ? 20200930_174227.jpg

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome to TreasureNet. I wish I could help. There will be someone who can identify this stone. Good luck!

Upvote 0

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I’m probably wrong but possibly this.
Another accessory mineral, cordierite is found in high-magnesium, high-grade metamorphic rocks like hornfels and gneiss. Cordierite forms grains that display a shifting blue-to-gray color as you turn it. This unusual feature is called dichroism. If that isn't enough to identify it, cordierite is commonly associated with mica minerals or chlorite, its alteration products. Cordierite has few industrial uses.

Glassy luster; hardness of 7 to 7.5.

Dumortierite

This uncommon boron silicate occurs as fibrous masses in pegmatites, in gneisses and schists, and as needles embedded in knots of quartz in metamorphic rocks. Its color ranges from light blue to violet. Dumortierite is sometimes used in the production of high-quality porcelain.

Glassy to pearly luster; hardness of 7.

Glaucophane
Graeme Churchard/Flickr/CC BY 2.0

This amphibole mineral most often is what makes blueschists blue, although bluish lawsonite and kyanite may also occur with it. It is widespread in metamorphosed basalts, usually in felted masses of tiny needle-like crystals. Its color ranges from pale gray-blue to indigo.

Pearly to silky luster; hardness of 6 to 6.5.

Upvote 0

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wrong type of stone what he has would be classified as sedimentary not metamorphic Sediment means the laying down of layers basically.

Upvote 0

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
BoB..sedimentary makes sense, but then again I'm not a geologist. umn.gif

Mumm..I looked at a number of online images, and have to
wonder if it's not a type of Chalcedony. Again, my knowledge
is very limited.

20200930_174227-2.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

mummzjoko

Sep 30, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmm this is wierd litteraly listed 100 000 rock photos online could not find anything simillar

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread