Anyone up for a treasure hunt near Hemet area?

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey all! Hoping to find some local person(s) who would like to do a hunt in the Hemet area (or within 30 miles or so of Hemet). I have done alot of detecting near the Steele peak area, as well as Bautista Canyon. I found a shell casing near Bautista that dates to 1880s-1926, I know there must be some old treasures out there with all the history in the area. Prefer to hunt with someone mature (I'm 46) so I'm not trying to keep up with a 20 year old kid! Lol. I do have a GPAA membership (I can take a guest on claim) so if someone wants to hit the claim at Bautista, I'm up for that as well. I have a local partner I've prospected with a few times, but his big passion is gold, he's not so much into finding other treasures/relics. Let me know if anyone is interested. Thanks, Scott

treasurechest

Mar 27, 2011
Hemet, California
Detector(s) used
I don't own one YET.
I had no idea that there was a GPAA claim in Bautista canyon. I've found all kinds of cool rocks out there. I'm 27, so you probably don't want to run around with me. However, keep us posted if you find anything worth sharing. Thanks!

OP
OP
atomicscott

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had no idea that there was a GPAA claim in Bautista canyon. I've found all kinds of cool rocks out there. I'm 27, so you probably don't want to run around with me. However, keep us posted if you find anything worth sharing. Thanks!
Went to the claim last Thursday, dug 2 buckets (110 lbs. total) classifed to 1/4". Ran it through my Angus Mackirk recirculating sluice at home, found 5 specks in 1st bucket. Still need to run the 2nd bucket. Last time out I got skunked, so at least I was able find a better area to dig. Seems the further upstream I go, the less gold I find out there. I was thinking with Juan Bautista De Anza and followers coming through the area, there could be some nice treasures out there as well!

treasurechest

Mar 27, 2011
Hemet, California
Detector(s) used
I don't own one YET.
Went to the claim last Thursday, dug 2 buckets (110 lbs. total) classifed to 1/4". Ran it through my Angus Mackirk recirculating sluice at home, found 5 specks in 1st bucket. Still need to run the 2nd bucket. Last time out I got skunked, so at least I was able find a better area to dig. Seems the further upstream I go, the less gold I find out there. I was thinking with Juan Bautista De Anza and followers coming through the area, there could be some nice treasures out there as well!

Could you imagine finding an old coin, or perhaps a small bar of gold or silver? Maybe even a buckle from a horse, or an old shell casing? It would be cool.

Brian M

Greenie
Feb 5, 2013
Moreno Valley, CA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am a first timer and would love to go out hunting with somone with more experience, but I understand if you don't want to go out hunting with a newbie. I live in Moreno Valley by the way.

Last edited:

Phanntom

Oct 21, 2012
Retired and traveling
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000di Pro SL
Whites Goldmaster II vSat
Whites Prizim 6T
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you're relic hunting or looking for old coins...work the old Butterfield Stage Line northwest of Jullian. You can also locate the old stage station out there.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Is it legal to detect out there?

hillbilly, if I understand phanntom's post, he is referring to the road itself, that was the old stage road. I gather this because Phanntom had a post, awhile back, about his efforts to randomly walk old stage-coach roads, in another state (which were now nothing but a dirt-road through a forest or whatever). Thus to answer the question, without going to the broader question of where to find old coins, in your area, the answer would be: It depends. Because first, you would need to define where the road was. While it may be true that it parallels/mirrors modern routes. New roads tended to be built on previously existing paths, afterall, in the evolution of roads. Yet they sometimes meandered. A new road might "straighten" things out a bit, so-to-speak. Leaving the previous trail that hugged easier flats, while a new road, during the age of steam-shovel construction, might be over yonder a bit more, and so forth. And sometimes, old passage through mountain passes might be completely abandoned, when the age of autos came, in favor of certain passes which were more favorable to current road-building.

So the bottom line is, even once you could research and determine the *exact* stage route Butterfield had, as you can guess, since you're talking old roads that stretched hundreds of miles, then .... duh .... go figure, that means that TODAY those paths could pass through a MYRIAD of different entities lands. Fed, state, county, city, utility, private, and so forth. It would be endless. So you'd have to refine your question and ask specifically which stretch. Then if you determined that some stretches were on public land, with no access problems, well then .... there you go.

It's going to be difficult to do causual research to define exact paths of the old Butterfield route, vs modern roads. Because most easy-reading material you'll come across will just say that the route followed such & roads (giving the modern equivalence road names). But as I've said, that's "close enough" for the casual reader, but isn't always accurate for what Phanntom was alluding to. It's quite possible that the old road was XX yards off east or west of the current paved road, or meandered about following the creek bottoms, perhaps even on the other side of a particular creek bottom than the current road, for instance. But for general purposes of the typical maps you'll see (of which the scale is practically useless) when the route had a path through a particular valley, and there is TODAY a modern road through the same valley, most people assume that the current road was the stage-coach route. And to a point, sure, that's 'close enough'. And in some points, that may be entirely accurate. But in other places, old roads meandered, jaunted off left or right, etc....

Needless to say you DON'T want to be metal detecting along-side a modern road, if you determined a stretch that was un-changed (as legal as it may be), because, quite frankly, all you'd find is modern cr*p from the decades of passing cars. You'd want to know where the stretches were that became bypassed, and faded away.

Last edited:
OP
OP
atomicscott

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hillbilly, if I understand phanntom's post, he is referring to the road itself, that was the old stage road. I gather this because Phanntom had a post, awhile back, about his efforts to randomly walk old stage-coach roads, in another state (which were now nothing but a dirt-road through a forest or whatever). Thus to answer the question, without going to the broader question of where to find old coins, in your area, the answer would be: It depends. Because first, you would need to define where the road was. While it may be true that it parallels/mirrors modern routes. New roads tended to be built on previously existing paths, afterall, in the evolution of roads. Yet they sometimes meandered. A new road might "straighten" things out a bit, so-to-speak. Leaving the previous trail that hugged easier flats, while a new road, during the age of steam-shovel construction, might be over yonder a bit more, and so forth. And sometimes, old passage through mountain passes might be completely abandoned, when the age of autos came, in favor of certain passes which were more favorable to current road-building.

So the bottom line is, even once you could research and determine the *exact* stage route Butterfield had, as you can guess, since you're talking old roads that stretched hundreds of miles, then .... duh .... go figure, that means that TODAY those paths could pass through a MYRIAD of different entities lands. Fed, state, county, city, utility, private, and so forth. It would be endless. So you'd have to refine your question and ask specifically which stretch. Then if you determined that some stretches were on public land, with no access problems, well then .... there you go.

It's going to be difficult to do causual research to define exact paths of the old Butterfield route, vs modern roads. Because most easy-reading material you'll come across will just say that the route followed such & roads (giving the modern equivalence road names). But as I've said, that's "close enough" for the casual reader, but isn't always accurate for what Phanntom was alluding to. It's quite possible that the old road was XX yards off east or west of the current paved road, or meandered about following the creek bottoms, perhaps even on the other side of a particular creek bottom than the current road, for instance. But for general purposes of the typical maps you'll see (of which the scale is practically useless) when the route had a path through a particular valley, and there is TODAY a modern road through the same valley, most people assume that the current road was the stage-coach route. And to a point, sure, that's 'close enough'. And in some points, that may be entirely accurate. But in other places, old roads meandered, jaunted off left or right, etc....

Needless to say you DON'T want to be metal detecting along-side a modern road, if you determined a stretch that was un-changed (as legal as it may be), because, quite frankly, all you'd find is modern cr*p from the decades of passing cars. You'd want to know where the stretches were that became bypassed, and faded away.
Two words: Awesome Information! Thanks Tom.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread